Sixteen

Emme sat in the drawing room as Hyacinth bombarded her with questions. All she could do was think back to memories of her time with the prince. She did really like him, contrary to their first meeting.

"Sister, although I applaud your inquisitive attitude, I hadn't know all the answers. Nor if the prince wants to marry me, I am meerly a girl he uses to jest with. We are friends, that is all." Emmeline huffed. "When you get up actually, would you mind getting me my painting kit."

From memory, she started working on a peice. The pond that day William and her went for a walk in the park. Although so many days had followed, she thought that that place was the most beautiful place on Earth.

Eloise plopped next to her on the sofa creating a distraction. She looked at her, but Eloise already had her notebook out scribbling away. Emme always cared to know what she was writing, but she felt it wasn't her place to ask.

Her twin finally looked up from her writing, "Who would think that two of my sisters would be princesses."

"Quit it, you cannot believe everything Whistledown rights. Yet it seems as Francesca has missed a lot of what has happened in London." Emma sighed. "I miss her. She'll be missing important life events, like Daphne engagements." Emme continued quietly, "Hopefully to the Duke."

"Yes, but she is having fun and exploring. Remember when we traveled at her age?" Eloise reminded.

"Of course I remember, that soilder I was so savvy about." Emmeline added.

"Why ever were you? He was such a simpleton." Eloise giggled.

"The heart works in mysterious ways." Emme claimed. Eloise didn't know what to make of that. She had never had feelings like that for someone ever. She never envied her siblings who had felt love either. "Regardless, I was a child and not thinking clearly."

"Do you have feelings for the prince?" Eloise asked out of no where. This question startled Emma because she hadn't really thought about it.

"That—that was unexpected."

"That gives me my answer, sister." Eloise cut off.

"I don't know, he's just..." She sighed.

Em left and brought her painting to her room for her to finsih. She was scared about what would happen in her life when her and William's friendship died down. She had spent this whole reason building a friendship with a rake, while barely focusing on her real suitors.

Suddenly, Daphne charged into her sisters room and sat down on her bed. Emma stared at her for a moment.

"Prinde Frederik is going to propose." Daphne said softly.

Her sister looked at her with compassion and began. "Daph, you know not of who he is, only of what people tell you. You do, however, know the Duke. Not just what people say, you are very well suited together. It would be a shame for you to not be with him."

"I don't think he loves me." Daphne went on.

"He does, I saw it in his eyes. You do know he does watch you? When you walk into a room his eyes follow you." Emmeline laughed. She knew her sister was very doubting.

Daphne tried to think back to the balls that they spent together and all the days they hung out together. Everywhere they went, he always looked at her.

"You know," Daphne started with a lighter expression, "You never really tell me about your prince."

"Well, William is funny. He's...always got something to say." Em smiled to herself. "He's very kind!" She said trying to hold in a laugh.

"Even if I do marry Prince Frederick," Daphne said, "I'll still have my memories of the Duke and I'll cherish them."

"That's not—." Before she would finish she was cut of by Daphne. "It is alright. We are to be princesses." She said taking her hand before leaving the room.

Emmeline wondered to herself what the Duke thought of this. Simon was what she thought to be a good man. Good for Daphne at least. Prince Frederick and her were not opposites, yet different. Thus making it hard to conversate. Emma did trust her sister in making the decision for herself. Her head was in the right place and she knew what she wanted.