Fifteen

The girls and their Mama walked through the room where many people stood around. Chatter about them rose and they walked by. Everyone was peering at Emmeline to see the girl who shared such close moments with the Prince. By now, the whole of London knew of their relationship, even the servants.

"Everyone seems to have quite the opinion." Lady Bridgerton said. "How long do you think it'll be before Her Majesty arrives? I may as well faint from hunger." She grabbed a small delicacy of the table and ate it quickly.

"Mama." The girls said in unison reprimanding their mother.

"What if you get cought?" Daphne uttered.

"No one's looking at me, dearest." She said taking another bite.

"Mama." Emme said again.

"It's quite delicious." Their mother reached a more serious tone with Daphne. "You seem a little strained. You've been that way for the past few days."

"I have much on my mind."

The doors flew open and the guards stood up straighter. Everyone else in the room stopped what they were doing to look at that direction.

"Her Majesty, Queen Charlotte, and her esteemed Nephews, Prince Frederick of Prussia, and Prince William of Prussia."

The girls stepped out in fromt of the group bowing low. Emme could tell that Daphne did not mean this, this was the true fake feelings she was showing to the prince. What she felt with the Duke was real, however, that was just what she thought she saw.

It appeared that she was a little lost in thought because when she snapped back Daphne had a necklace around her neck as well.

Prince William instructed Emme to follow him and he lead her over to an area more secluded in the room. She knew he would only continue his antics, but she liked it. He was the sort of man Mama's warn their daughters about. The rebel, daring, the things that good society opposed, but who was Emmeline to judge.

"I noticed you didn't seem to care enough about Daphne's little gift to pay attention?" He looked down at her while he jested.

"Oh, so you're paying attention to me now? But you are right, I was trapped in thought." Emme sighed.

"Miss Bridgerton," The prince started, "you were thinking about me? Of course you were, what else could you be thinking of." He wanted a reaction out of her.

"Oh, don't be conceded. I was thinking about Daphne's relationship with the the duke." She said. "Which I hope is still salvageable."

"He is still my brother, you know."

"And you really want to be my brother-in-law it seems?"

He blushed a bit before speaking, "No."

"Then it's settled, they should not be together."

William looked at her a bit more seriously, "My brother is kind, he would offer her a comfortable life. If that is what Daphne chooses, so be it."

Emmeline knew he was right, its what any practical person would think. She just didn't want to believe that he might be the right choice for her, because she saw that her and the duke were something, no matter how much she denied it.