Twenty Three

The Bridgerton family sat around a less full table. Daphne was gone and Colin seemed to be somewhere else.

Gregory had taken a ribbon off of Hyacinth's dress. He had thought himself sneaky.

"He did it. I know it." Hyacinth said before

Benedict butted in. "He took yout ribbon?" He asked his youngest sister. "Did you take the ribbon?"

Gregory decided to act dumb. "Dunno what you're talking ab—."

"I literally saw you do it." Hyacinth accused.

"I saw in it your pocket." Benedict said.

"It's not fair." Hyacinth stated.

"I had to deal with the same things coming from Benedict and Colin." Emme added.

"Just give it back." Benedict said before Greg threw a pea across the table.

"Stop it!"

Colin walked into the room, missing practically the whole breakfast.

"Good morning." Colin said acting sort of weird.

"Good morning, brother." Benedict greeted.

Everyone was sort of quiet when he came in. After the unexpected announcement they didn't know what to make of him.

"Colin, your engagement was in Whistledown!" Hyacinth exclaimed.

"Hyacinth!" Their Mama scolded.

"What? It is!"

"Very well, everyone out I think." Anthony said before everyone picked up their plates and left the room.

The sibling went into a room where they could talk and eat. In the world of marriges, Colin was still rather young, so even though he was older than Daphne and Emma, it was still seen as more acceptable for him to wait a bit longer.

"Do you think she even has a dowery?" Emme spoke up to the group.

"She wasn't in complete destitute I believe." Benedict stated.

"He's in love!" Hyacinth said. She was one to fight for love, and for something nice, pretty, or expensive.

Later in the day, Emmeline and William sat across from each at a ice cream shop. They were happy. It felt like they had been together for forever.

"What has you so smiley?" William ask her.

"You." She stated. "Oh, that sounded weird, didn't it?"

"Look at you trying to be a charmer." He said to her.

"Should I tell you how much I distain you instead?" She joked with him.

"I'd like for you to te me how much you hate me." He smirked at her.

"If I did that you would want me even more."

That night was the dinner with the Featheringtons and the Bridgetons. As for Emme, Benedict and Anthony, they were not so pleased with this. They all sat together in the dining room that was filled with excitement and displeasure.

"What were your favorite past times in the country?" The vicountess asked Marina.

"I enjoyed riding above all else, my lady." Marina said warmly.

"Please, you must call me Violet now. Remember?" Lady Bridgerton insisted.

"Miss Tompson is such a proper young lady, is she not?" Lady Featherington said trying to persuade the group to like this union a bit more.

"Have you traveled at all beyond England, Miss Thompson?" Lady Bridgerton asked. "It's has long been Colin's greatest ambition to travel the world."

"Never," She spoke up, "though it us now a great ambition of mine as well."

"I am sensing a honeymoon in foreign parts." Lady Featherington said with excitement. She then turned to the Viscount. "What think you, Lord Bridgerton?"

"I would not like to speculate." He told. Emme covered her face with a napkin so no one could tell she was trying not to laugh.

"Yes, indeed. I belive a honeymoon in foreign parts would be just the thing." Lady Featherington nodded. "Mr. Bridgerton, you might even make the most of this fine weather we are having if you choose to marry sooner rather than later."

Emme turned to Benedict on her right and gave him a look.

"That sounds suspicious, does it not?"

He just nodded a little without saying a word. That marrige was most definitely weird. Emme couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Colin is still very young," The Viscount started, "I belive a lengthier engagement would be prudent due to circumstances."

"Mother, have I told you Miss Thompson is very accomplished at needlework?" Colin asked his mother. "She is quite brilliant. Puts my sisters to shame."

"I can assure you, that is not true." Marina spoke up.

"You have not seen my sister Daphne's embroidery. In all honesty, it is like a battlefield." Colin jested causing Lady Featherington to laugh.

"Oh, dear brother, that is quite untrue. Daphne's work is very beautiful." Emmeline spoke in defense of her sister. "Lady Featherington, I believe that the duchess has beautiful needlework, yes?" Emma stated as she picked at her food with a fork.

After dinner, they all sat around the drawing room as the two older Featherington sisters sung and played the paino poorly. Emme liked them in a people watching kind of way, they were funny and good company at times. Benedict and Emmeline were about to cry from holding in their laughs.