Eight

William knew it was time to marry. His mother had been putting that pressure on him for a while. His travels had taken him far and wide, but now he was back in London at the Queen's request. He thought the English cared too much about ranks, even though he was practically an English man by the way he grew up.

Even though his mother would rather him marry someone of royal blood, she just wanted him to marry anyone at all. She thought spending time in London could change his ways.

The palace had changed a lot since he was last there. The servants were all new and it seemed some rooms had began to resemble the regency style a bit. He walked through the palace until he reached the Queen.

"Aunt." He bowed to the women who looked at her nephew with a straight face. He was to accompany his brother, who was only a few years apart from him. They loved each other, but they were so vastly different.

"My nephew, I have not seen you in ages." She said to him. "I know you have received my letters about this years season. There are many beautiful women from prominent families that would work for a very nice match. As you know, I am quite the fan of matchmaking. Don't you want to appease your queen?"

"I have told you, I don't want to be lured to London so you could have me married to some girl with a posh noble background." The young man went on.

"That's not what a prince should be saying. Know your duty, and it is to marry and continue on your legacy for your family. You will come with me to a ball tonight."

"I know I cannot argue with your word, Aunt." He said coldly before turning away.

After that rousing discussion, he decided to take a stroll around London. He wanted to get familiar with the lay of the land again since he had been away for so long.

As he walked about the gardens, people whispered about him to each other. The prince was indeed back and many ambitious Mama's would try to sway him towards their daughter, although they hadn't the highest expectations for the matter. This was part of the reason that he way tried to stay away from England, other than his house, which he visited on occasion.

England had never sparkled to him like other countries did. For example, the French lifestyle was more interesting and the Italian seemed to have more fun. Nonetheless, this was where he had grown up and where he had his friends, so this was a place he could never truly be disconnected from. He was practically Queen Charlotte's other son.