Fourteen

The ball was finished with lavish white roses and statues. The venue was on the smaller side, less people would be invited.

Daphne, Emmeline and their Mama made their way down the stairs. Their dresses all shimmered in the light. Everyone looked at them as they walked down. The girls wore the most lavish dresses they could buy as well as the perfect tiaras, so they could reflect their diamond status.

"Miss Bridgerton, are you dressing to impress this evening?" William asked her, putting his hand out as she reached the bottom step.

"Have I impressed you then?" She laughed.

"Maybe you have." He looked at her up and down.

Other girls there snickered at Daphne . To everyone else, Daph looked like a social climber, or was rushing the Duke to marry her. Only three people knew the truth, Daphne, Simon and Emmeline.

"I worry for my sister and the wrath of the Cowpers." She said hesitantly as they danced around the smaller area. William wasn't a person Emme could confide in easily.

"If she does marry Frederick, she would have not a thing to worry about." His grasped tightened around her waist as they danced around.

"Yes, but I'm afraid her heart is set on someone else. That would be a terribly hard choice to make."

"Who is it?" William asked her.

"I'm afraid that is not for your ears." She teased him, which caused him to roll his eyes as a joke. "I'm sure you have secrets."

"Sure, I do." He paused for a moment and smiled at the girl. "What is a person without their secrets?"

"I suppose they aren't truly a person. Now that I think about it, you could hardly be classified as a human, I rather think of you as devilish." Emma said strongly. "I suppose thats why you do all the things you do."

"How could I be a devil if I had true feelings?" He asked her intently.

"Because you don't." Emmeline smiled. William smiled back too, but inside he was again feeling upset that she pushed away at his attempts to grow a deeper bond with her.

That night was interesting. People talked about her. Some positive and some negative. She had never had to deal with the bad comments of people, especially as a Bridgerton. Most of the time, no one said anything about the family. Even though the Bridgerton's were very respectable, it didn't fully exclude her from being judged by the Ton. Some would think she didn't deserve attentions from a prince. "A girl smitten by the attentions of a prince, who's bound to be played", they would say. If anyone was in her situation they would be acting the same. William was easy to get along with, he made her laugh, unlike most of the other suitors.