20: The Moment He Knew

Author's Note: This is picking up from the end of Chapter 19, BUT this is from David's perspective. So no, this won't be including the lunch (in detail that is). This is also VERY dialogue heavy so I apologize!! I hope you all like this one, and if you happen to have a twitter as well follow me: @JENSFANLSTON

David hasn't been back to visit New York in a while. In fact the last time he remembered being in this city for longer than a few days was right before Christina. It's crazy to think how things have changed. Now he sits watching his niece and nephew play while his brother-in-law and sister make their lunch. He can't even remember the last time he did this. It's been that long. But, David is happy to have broken the cycle.

"Uncle David?" Leighanne turned to him.

"Yes Leigh?" David picked up ray and placed her on his lap.

"I missed you." His niece then proceeded to hug him tightly. "We haven't seen you in so long."

"Yes! True!" Ray added as he was busy playing with his toys in front of David. "Come here more."

"I will buddy, I will." David reassured the two children. Truthfully he has been so disconnected from his family just due to him connecting this city with the person he wanted to escape. When David left New York he wanted to make sure that the only time he will come back would be when he has enough to give back to his family. It wasn't until Friends that he felt like he had truly made it in his career. For a while he doubted his own ability because everyone just seemed a little too talented while he still hasn't figured out anything.

"Bring Aunt Jennifer too please." Leighanne requested as she hopped off of David's lap.

"You like her Leigh?" David asked and Leighanne nodded. "Then I'll bring her around more."

"I think we all like her in this house David." Ellie said from behind which caused her brother to turn around. "Lunch is ready kids, but David I was hoping that I can talk to you for a second?"

"I don't get to eat?" David joked.

"Unless you want dinosaur nuggets then yes." Ellie replied before adding: "Our lunch his just in the oven it'll take half an hour at most."

Los Angeles brings happiness for David but nothing in comparison to New York. It is like coming back home after a long time away from work. After all, he has learned to love Los Angeles much more than he thought. However, nothing can compare to New York because that's where his family is.

After helping Ellie set up the food for the kids he sent a quick text to Jennifer just telling her to meet him at Ellie's house. Noting in fact in his head that Leighanne and Ray both liked her company. Which came at a relief to him, it takes a while for the two kids to open up to strangers but they tended to take a quick liking to Jennifer. After all everyone has too. Perhaps its the nerves that he hasn't introduced anyone to his family before; so this a big deal for him. As it was for Jennifer when he had met John.

"Is Jen coming over?" Ellie asked as the kids started eating.

"She just told me she's grabbing lunch with an old friend who still lives in the city. She'll come by after." David replied.

"Sounds good, can we have a quick talk though just in the living room if that's okay?" Ellie suggested.

"Uh... Sure?" David had a weird tone to him. This is only because his sister has been acting a bit weird lately since he had arrived back to this city.

"Leigh-Leigh." Ellie turned to her older child. "Daddy's just out in the garden okay? I'll be in the living room with Uncle David if you need anything."