21: The Moment She Knew

Author's Note: this is a continuation of ch 19 from Jennifer's side of things aka the lunch! I did change this approach from CH 20. Instead of flashbacks all throughout I did something else. As well: this chapter is dedicated to the lovely Nibi (:. If you have not read After Hours or TOW they come clean please read them!! Thank you again Nibi for your support with this and my writing (:

Jennifer didn't know why she accepted Christina's invitation for lunch. She has no idea why Christina even came here to her hotel specifically either. But, here she is now getting ready to meet with her boyfriend's ex girlfriend. Without a second thought she sent a text to David telling him she unexpectedly ran into an old friend whom she'll be grabbing lunch with; trying to hold back her gag thinking Christina would be an old friend.

Taking one more glance in the mirror to prepare herself for the unknown mess this lunch will cause, Jennifer walked out of the door to meet Christina. To her surprise the woman had a smile on her face and talked all throughout the walk to their destination. Jennifer slightly regretting that she wasn't the one to pick the lunch spot so she can easily get out if need be. But after all she isn't a local in this city; she's the outcast.

After ordering lunch and the waiter walking away talking a double glance at Jennifer not believing he is in fact serving her; Jennifer broke the question she has been thinking about since opening her hotel room door.

"Christina, I appreciate the gesture of reaching out and inviting me to lunch. But what is this for? We never had to speak to each other after what had happened." Jennifer started things off.

"But we do." Christina took a sip of her water.

"What else is there to speak about?" Jennifer asked another question.

"You and David made me feel like a fool. A fool that got caught up in your web of lies and game of cat and mouse. All for what? So that the two of you can end up together in the end?" Christina paused to look directly into Jennifer's eyes. "This isn't about David solely and your newfound relationship. This is about getting me involved when I sure as hell think the two of you had always been in love during the duration of our relationship. That is what I have a problem with. And that is why I want to talk to you."

"Why not him." Jennifer replied coldly.

"I never talked to you properly about this Jennifer. I want to move on from this, trust me I do. But when everything points to the fear of once again being left for another woman? That is what keeps me from moving on. I need the truth, I need your truth."

"Well I'm going to need wine and tequila." Jennifer said drinking her water.

Christina and Jennifer ate quietly as their food started to come out. Jennifer still feeling awkward, she has no idea what Christina means by her truth. What is Jennifer's truth? They kissed twice. Yes. Before he ended the relationship. That is it. She fell in love with him before, during, and now after his relationship with Christina. But that doesnt mean she deliberately broke them up. She did not ask for that. She just fell in love with someone.

"What do you mean by my truth." Jennifer started the conversation. "What are you trying to say?"

"You knew David and I were in a relationship. Yet something else developed nonetheless." Christina looked at Jennifer.

"I was already in love with him before you came into his life." Jennifer replied. "Do not push for something you have no idea of."

"Care to enlighten me then? Because if we argue I know for sure I will win." Christina smirked. Her lawyer interrogation side coming through yet Jennifer is still trying to find the person David found in this woman. She seems exactly like the people she knew he doesnt like.