1

~Katya's POV~

"You have all your bags, right?" My mom asked in a worried voice, causing me to glance up at her as I stood in the living room, zipping my purse shut after sticking my phone into it. "Yeah, mom." I assured her with a chuckle, brushing a strand of my fiery red hair behind my ear. "I've got everything, just like the time you asked me ten minutes ago." I teased.

Mom's face tinted pink in embarrassment and she huffed, placing her hands on her hips. "Well, excuse me for being a worried mother, then." She responded sassily, earning a soft laugh from me as I stepped closer and slung my arms around her in a hug. "Don't worry so much. I'm moving to a different state, not a different country, and you can always call me when you want." I said, pulling away to look down at her. Despite the fact that I was barely five foot five, I was just barely taller than my mom, who stood at five foot two. She was the shortest in my family, while my dad was the tallest, though he stood only at five foot eight.

I hauled the last of my bags out to the car that my dad was waiting in so he could take me to the airport, slamming the trunk after I finished. When I turned around, mom was standing a few feet away from me, looking as if she was about to start crying.

"Do you really have to go?" She asked, causing me to smile softly and nod my head. "I've already paid my first months rent at my new apartment, mom, and it's not like I can just drop out of college before I even start." I told her. She groaned in complaint and gave me another hug before I hopped in the passenger's seat, pulling on my seatbelt as my dad started up the car engine.

With a glance out the window as my dad pulled the car out of the driveway, I gave her a wave and smiled at her before we headed towards the airport.

**

"Here are your keys. You know which floor and apartment room number, right?" The kind woman asked as she sat at the front desk in my new apartment building. I gingerly took the keys from her and smiled, nodding my head. "Yes, thank you." I responded, giving her a friendly wave as I wandered down the hall in search of the elevator.

I'd never moved out of state before, so it was a little scary to be on my own here in Little Rock, Arkansas, especially when I had never been here before. At the same time, however, I was excited. It was something new and refreshing, plus I was kind of happy with the idea that I didn't know anybody here and nobody knew me. This felt like a fresh start, and I hadn't had one of those before. I had lived in a small town for most of my life, where everybody knew everybody and, because of that, there was a lot of gossip. There wasn't much else to do, after all, in a small town.

I pressed the button for the ninth floor when I stepped in the elevator, pulling all of my bags with me out of the elevator when it reached my floor. I found my apartment and unlocked the front door, carrying in my bags of clothes before I bumped the door shut with my foot. Thanks to the fact that I had gotten my apartment to be set up before I came down, I didn't have to worry about getting any of my furniture put together or lugged up here. All I had to do was put up my decorations and stuff that I'd brought down with me.

My eyes wandered over my new apartment and I smiled to myself in excitement, quickly locking the door behind me before I headed to my bedroom to begin to put away my clothes. It took me a while to put everything away due to the fact that I had so many clothes, so I wasn't very surprised when I found that it was already past seven PM by the time that I finished.

A huff of exhaustion left my lips as I stood from where I sat on the floor in front of my dresser, pushing shut one of the drawers with a deep sigh. Although I didn't have my decorations put up yet, at least my clothes were all put up. One thing at a time, I reminded myself.

After I had finished putting my clothes away, I began to put all my decorations and things where I wanted them, which took me a lot longer than I thought it would. An hour and a half passed by before I was done, smiling in content as I looked at my newly decorated room. The walls were white and the wood floors were a light shade of grey, and I had decorated the front of my closet door with large black stickers, giving it a cow print around the mirror built into the middle of the door.

There was a short, thin white storage container against the wall to the left of the closet door, which I had used for my undergarments. Beside that was a black, metal shoe rack that had a built in bar that I hung my jackets from. Pink LED lights lined the top of my walls, all the way around the perimeter of my room, and filled the space with a pale, pretty pink glow when I turned the lights out. My platform bedframe was white and the blankets were white with a black grid pattern, matching some of the pillow cases.

At the foot of my bed was a little white bench with a fluffy grey throw blanket over it, matching one of the pillows on my bed. I even had a pillow with a cow pattern on it.

Because my bed was up against the wall in the left corner of my room, to the right side of my bed was a white bedside table with little black and white fabric storage bins built into the bottom of it. My dresser was a light gray color and was up against the left wall, close to my closet door. Above my bed I had a pink LED light against the wall that was in the shape of a lightning bolt, surrounded with fake vines that went down the wall and stopped above the head of my bed. Hung on the wall on the left side of my bed was a few different posters, most of them a little funky looking, in terms of color and art style. I also had a small vanity table to the far right of my bed, close to my bathroom door, that I kept all of my makeup supplies sorted neatly on top of.

I left my bedroom and entered my living room, pulling my phone out of my purse that I had left on the kitchen counter a few hours ago. My rumbled hungrily, reminding me yet again that I hadn't had anything to eat today. Not feeling up to finding something new to try, I just decided to order in a pepperoni pizza from Papa John's before I plopped down on my couch, flicking on the TV.

Stretching my legs out across the couch, I sighed deeply in content and allowed myself to relax as the night ticked by.