Wrong Turn Turns Out Right (Ch. 8)

I still own nothing.

Things have grown less awkward. InuYasha sits with us daily and I talk to him about normal stuff. He knows I forgive him. I just can't bring myself to tell him. Everything is normal again. InuYasha and I text or talk for hours, he spends the night, or when my parents are arguing he lets me come over, if my car breaks down he picks me up, I'm just glad I haven't had to cake on foundation. He'd notice for sure. I don't know what's up, but I haven't been hit lately. Not that I'm complaining, I mean, I'm glad! I hate having to cover things up. We already agreed InuYasha would come over today after school so we could hang out. Sango and the others are coming in a few minutes, but I wanted to clean up a little. InuYasha picks out "Child's Play" knowing Rin and I get freaked out by dolls, earning him a loud,

     "SIT!" InuYasha hits the ground with a loud thud.

     "Why, Kagome? Why?'' I shrug.

     "I don't know. I just kinda felt like it. Now stop complaining and come show me how to work this stupid thing!" Did I mention I'm technologically challenged? InuYasha chuckles and limps over. "Didn't hurt you too bad, did I?" He laughs.

     "Not as much as that first punch to the face did." I roll my eyes.

     "I said I was sorry, now get over it!" I hear the door open.

     "Kagome! InuYasha! Where are you guys?" Shippo yells.

     "In here!" InuYasha yells. "Got it. Who do you love?" I stare at him wide eyed walking over.

     "What, but, how did you...? Ugh." I cross my arms over my chest and pout.

     "Now," InuYasha says looking rather amused, "what's that look for?"

     "Isn't it obvious? That's one more thing you're good at that I'm not." InuYasha chuckles pulling me closer to him, sending shockwaves through my body. I, of course, don't let it show.

     "Well, you can shoot an arrow way better than me, and you're nice too almost everyone you meet. I think you win." He says kissing my forehead like he used to. Before he left, he'd always give me piggy-back-rides, hug me, hold my hand, kiss my forehead, stuff like that. In 6th and half of 7th grade people always thought we were together, and, now that I don't hate him, those rumors are coming back.

     "Whatever. Hey guys! Popcorns already made on the table."

     "What are we watching?" Rin asks.

     "Child's Play. Courtesy of InuYasha." We both roll our eyes at him while he just laughs. "Alright. Let's get this over with." I hit play and the stupid movie starts. For those of you who are lucky to never have seen this film, it's about this guy who dies and transfers his soul into a Good Guy doll and goes on a killing spree. Weird, right? We barely hear a door slamming shut in my house until we hear a yell.

     "KAGOME HIGURASHI! WHERE ARE YOU? WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NOISE!" I look at my friends nervously. "KAGOME!" Now, I'm scared. I whisper to them,

     "Wait by the door?" They nod and I get up. "And InuYasha? Don't be a hero." He looks confused but nods, just the same. Sango and the others have already been around when my dad got like this but I'd been hoping InuYasha would never have to hear or see this part of my life. I leave the door partially open so they could watch. They pause the movie and move behind the door.

      "What is the meaning of this! The house is a wreck! And you're in there watching a freaking movie!" That's when the smell hits me.

     "Dad, you're drunk again? I thought you said you quit." This earned me a slap across the face that left me sprawled across the floor.

     "Don't you EVER talk back to me, young lady!" He kicked me in the stomach making me go into a coughing fit. "Oh, shut up!" He kicked me again, this time in the shoulder making me yelp like a little girl before I can stop myself. He smiles evilly, crap. I gave him the satisfaction of knowing he can, and did, hurt me. "So, little miss painless can be hurt." He steps on my chest, keeping me from breathing. I'm gasping for air by now and I feel the annoying stinging behind my eyes. The tell tale sign of tears to come. I blink rapidly making them go away. No way is he going to make me cry. He laughs maniacally and takes his foot off of me. I sit up gasping for air feeling like I can't get enough oxygen in my lungs. Slowly, and painfully, I stand up. I force myself to stand strong and be steady. My strength returns. Just enough for me to say,

     "Don't... ever... touch me... again. Understand?" I was breathing short, rapid, uneven little breaths between each word but at this point, I didn't care. I can feel the shock in my friends auras from behind the door. I knew that they could see and hear everything. My drunken father turns around slowly, glaring at me menacingly.

     "What did you just say to me?" I smirk triumphantly. He doesn't like losing control.

     "You heard me." I say, my voice sounding much stronger than before. I'm ready to take him on. If I can handle demons I can handle him. "Touch me again, and you're going to pay. I am sick and tired of your BS. I won't be pushed around by you any longer." That said, I turn around to go to my room to clean up a little when I feel his aura spark with an anger I've never seen any human possess. I duck right as he reaches out to hit me and knock him off his feet. Before I can secure him, he punches me in the eye, knocking me off of him. While I'm sprawled on the floor, trying to get up, his beer bottle he was holding breaks and he picks it up. Crap. Now, he has a weapon. I mentally tell my friends not to come out knowing they can't hear me. He manages to scratch me from my collar bone to the soft part of my shoulder. I scream in pain before getting the strength to knock him out. I roll him off of me, panting, and my friends run out of the movie room to see if I'm okay.

     I get up immediately and drag him over to the couch and concentrate, my hand on his head. I imagine the memory of me hitting him being completely wiped away. When I am satisfied he won't remember, I look around. There's blood on the floor, blood on my clothes, and everyone surrounding me has worried expressions on. I smile weakly at them.

     "See? Told you I can take care of myself. Just, uh, let me get everything cleaned up and then we can go finish the movie." They all nod and they, being the great friends they are, help me clean up. I go into the kitchen, InuYasha not leaving my side, and get my dad three Advil and a huge glass of water. No doubt he's going to have one killer hangover when he wakes up. When I go back to the living room, Sango and Miroku and cleaning up the blood on the floor while Rin and Shippo put ice on my dad so he won't bruise or swell as much. I smile at them all. I have the best friends in the world.

     "InuYasha? Help Kagome up the stairs so she can change and shower if she wants. We've got everything down here." Miroku orders. InuYasha nods and takes my hand leading me to the stairs that go to my room. He puts his hand under my elbow while I grip the railing with my right hand. When we get to my room he pulls me into a tight embrace. It hurts for a second, but then goes away and I hug him back.

     "Kagome, I'm so sorry! It's all my fault. If I hadn't left none of this would've happened. I could have protected you, I could've -"

    "InuYasha. It's not your fault. You can't protect me from everything. I'm totally used to it now. No biggie." I kiss him lightly on the cheek and walk over to my closet peeling off my tight jeans and shirt. I'd changed in front of InuYasha thousands of times... and yet he still had the decency to turn around. I throw on a random black pleated skirt, grey leggings, and grab a blue t-shirt. "Okay, InuYasha! You're safe. Warning though. I'm shirtless so I can clean up this cut." He opens his eyes and follows me into the bathroom hugging me from behind as we stare into the mirror. I sigh and get out the peroxide and a washcloth. I pour some peroxide onto the cloth and gently dab the cut. This is the first time he's ever cut me. What will happen next time? The stinging comes back and I quickly blink to get rid of the tears before they can come. Suddenly, InuYasha turns me around and looks me in the eyes before brushing his thumbs underneath them, careful not to scratch me with his nails.

     "It's my fault you're like this. Before, you never had to be strong, never had to defend yourself... because I was always there. To protect you. Now... you won't even shed a tear." I look at him shocked. He knows about my promise to myself? That I'd never shed a tear over him, myself, or anyone else for as long as I live? If only he knew how much I love him. Then, he'd see the reasoning behind that promise. But he's just as clueless as before. Sigh. Men.