Wrong Turn Turns Out Right (Ch. 20)

When we reach the village, Miroku has secured a room claiming there's an 'ominous presence' even though I sensed nothing. Little liar. We split up to get some more time appropriate clothes, the boys go left while Sango and I go right. She finds a demon slayer's armor and purchases that. It's black with pink accents, very fitting for her, especially seeing as her ancestors were all demon slayers. I, on the other hand, have a little more difficulty. I don't want to wear the traditional miko garb. It reminds me too much of Kikyo and people here have already called me by her name several times. After a few more steps, something silver catches my eye. I backtrack and walk down the little aisle finding the shiny material. I pick it up, unfolding it, and gasp. Deep forest green short sleeved kimono with deeper green threaded roses sewn in with silver lining around the edges and for the buttons. I hold it against my body, finding that it reaches just below my knees with slits on either side climbing to just below my underwear. It's gorgeous. Sango gasps behind me.

     "Kagome! It's perfect! Oh! And I just found thigh high black socks you could wear with it! And flats!" I shake my head, wishing there was a mirror. 

     "No, I'd probably wear it with my black low top converse." She rolls her eyes before saying,

     "You should buy it." I look at her, shocked.

      "What?" I yell at her. "Are you crazy? It's way too inappropriate, I could never." She rolls her eyes at me. 

     "Kagome. You've worn skirts much shorter than that. It'll be fine. Besides, it'll drive Sesshoomaru and InuYasha nuts!" My mouth drops to the floor. 

      "W-what? S-Sango, what, what're you-"

     "Oh please, we've all noticed. They're both totally head over heels for you. If I were you, I'd pick Sesshy." I giggle a little, looking at the dress again. I bite my lip, smiling. 

     "Okay." Sango jumps up and down, squealing a little. 

     "Yay!" We make the trade and go back to our temporary room where the boys are already waiting, changed. Shippo looks positively adorable in deep blue pants, a teal shirt, and fox fur vest. Miroku had managed to find legitimate monk clothes in deep purple and black. InuYasha, dressed in simple red hakama and haori, yet still managing to look gorgeous, at least to me. Then there was Sesshomaru. Red flowers danced up the sleeves and legs of his white hakama and haori while a fur rest on one shoulder, red boots, and armor lay discarded in the corner of the room. He looks positively regal. He and his brother really couldn't be more different. 

     "So, did you ladies find anything?" Miroku asks, snapping me out of my thoughts. Sango and I nod. 

     "Yeah, we were just about to go change." He nods. 

     "Excellent! We'll be here when you're done." We nod, once more, before exiting. 

     "Well, now what? We can't change in there." I ask. Sango looks around, helplessly. Thankfully, a servant walks by. 

     "Excuse me, where do you think we could change?" Sango asks. 

     "Third door on the right." The servant smiles, pointing down the hall. 

     "Thank you!" We hurry down the hall and into the correct door. Sango and I help each other into the new outfits before admiring our reflections in the mirror. Sango purses her lips, tying her hair up in a pink ribbon. I reach for my red one but she smacks my hand. "Uh uh. Here." She hands me a silver ribbon and my socks. "That at least matches." 

     "Thanks. What would I do without you?" I tie the ribbon around my wrist, not wanting to put my hair up just yet, before sliding my legs into the tall black socks and pulling my necklace out of the dress.