Wrong Turn Turns Out Right (Ch. 24)

I wake up curled into Sesshomaru's chest, golden eyes watching as his clawed hand runs through my hair. I look out the window from the corner of my eye, noticing it's still relatively dark out. Not wanting to wake the others, I try reaching up to him through Inu.

     What time is it? Sesshomaru smirks down at me, a proud glint in his eyes.

     Nearly dawn. Impressive little pup, aren't you? Learning Inu this early on. I smile back at him as he taps my nose, making me wrinkle it up. A thought comes to me, forcing my smile away and my brows to furrow in confusion and worry.

     Sesshomaru... you don't like humans and you hate half breeds, right? At his slight shrug and quirk of the eyebrow, I continue. Are you going to hate me too now? His eyes widen in shock, his hand stopping in my hair right at the back of my neck.

     How could you ever think that? Do you believe that if I despised you as a human I would feel as I do now? I am not one to lie about my affections; I can assure you, Kagome, that you have all of my heart in your possession, I would be quite reluctant to allow you to let it slip away. I am quite fond of every aspect of your being and would not change a single microscopic bit of who you are. I blush at his words, feeling more than a little ridiculous for having had the thought cross my mind. He pulls me closer to him and I notice his arm shaking slightly. I only wish I'd been the one to save you from that wretched being you called father, I would not have let you reach such a state as to fear for your very life. I hide my head in shame, knowing why I hadn't called Sesshomaru.

     InuYasha did what he could when he got there. I was just so overwhelmed at having him back that I'd forgotten you could've done what he had and most likely in better timing. I'm sorry... I basically confessed to having forgotten about Sesshomaru, the person who had probably helped me the most in terms of finding myself and becoming stronger after InuYasha tore me apart. He never left or forgot about me. 

     There is nothing to apologize for. I understand; I knew things would be different once my brother returned, I only wished to see an end to your suffering. I missed your smile and laughter in our house and at school. I knew I could never replace him as your first love, but sincerely hoped that I would be an adequate second. He brushes the back of his hand across my cheek, leaning his forehead against mine. I rest my hand over his, smiling softly.

     I think a part of me will always love InuYasha, but I also think there's always been a part of me that loved you. I was just so caught up in all of his drama that I never realized it or really thought about it. I was always so concerned about what he would think but you showed me how to depend on myself and do things for myself. I look into his eyes and intertwine our fingers. I want to do this for myself, for both of us. I want this to be a thing. He smirks, chuckling quietly. 

     A thing? I shrug, smiling. As he rolls to lay on his back, I rest my head and hand on his chest, and he resumes playing with my hair.

     Yes, a thing. But don't think just because we've known each other for forever you get to half-*** this. I want to be wooed, taken on dates, have awkward dinners with the families, you have to ask my mom for permission to date me; but don't ask too soon, we have to date for a while before we can formally go out. I hear his laugh in my head, the real all out one, and look up at him to find that perfect smile of his in the dark. He kisses my forehead, still smiling, and it's all I can do not to swoon right then and there.

     This Sesshomaru wouldn't dream of it. I roll my eyes at him, trying, and failing, not to smile. I trace the demon markings on his sides, sighing to myself.

     Oh jeez, only totally conceited people talk about themselves in the third person; and here I thought you were perfect.

     I am sure I have at least one redeeming quality. Is this not true? I think about everything he's done for me; how kind and caring he is, his bravery, his ability to stay calm and collected in the most difficult times, his physical appearance isn't exactly shabby either, and neither are his kissing skills... he continues rubbing my hair and I smile to the darkness, feeling my eyes closing once more.

     Maybe just one or two...

A/N: I am so sorry I've been MIA! School attacked, finals, some health problems, people problems (at one point I had 3 additional house guests due to family issues of their own) and I just haven't been able to find the time to write. BUT all is not lost; I am taking a year off of school to relax and focus on things that make me happy and this is DEFINITELY one of them. To those of you still reading, thank you so much for sticking around, I will be posting more regularly from now on, and to those that either lost interest or got tired for my lazy butt, I am incredibly sorry and will miss you terribly. I hope you are all still liking it! I do love reading comments and messages, and reply to all inbox messages things :) I'll see you guys next time!