Wrong Turn Turns Out Right (Ch. 26)

The others catch on to the fact that Sesshomaru and I are no longer with them and double back, gasping at our unwelcome guest. Sango and Miroku immediately pull out their weapons while InuYasha stands protectively in front of Kikyo. I signal to Sesshomaru that I'm fine and he sets me down, carefully, on the branch we're standing on. 

     "Kagome, my dear. You appear to have healed nicely." I wince at the reminder of our last time together but force myself to meet his gaze. 

     "Demon blood will do that to you. But you know all about that, don't you?" He chuckles darkly, sending chills down my spine. 

     "Indeed I do." His attention shifts then towards the others. "Kikyo. This is a pleasant surprise." The girl in question scowls, pulling an arrow from her quiver. 

     "I'm not sure I would say pleasant." He smiles then, a bone-chilling grin. 

     "Well, InuYasha, this is just like old times, isn't it?" I wince slightly at the obvious jab at my being a replacement for Kikyo and notice InuYasha do the same. "To what I assume will be your pleasure, I am not here for her." He looks at me once more and I feel Sesshomaru tense up beside me, his face expressionless. "Miss Higurashi, if you would be so kind." He reaches out a hand, offering it to me. "I would hate to have to do this the hard way." Immediately, images of my dreams last night and the last time he and I were alone together flash through my head, along with all of the pain they'd brought in their execution. I double over, clutching my head in agony, and fall out of the tree. Luckily, Sesshomaru manages to catch me and place me gingerly on the ground. I grind my teeth together in an attempt to keep from screaming and vaguely register several voices yelling. Then, as suddenly as they had arrived, the pain and images were gone. I collapse in relief, breathing heavily. Sesshomaru stands over me, growling low in his chest. "So, what will it be, Miss Higurashi?" I manage to get to my hands and knees and glare at him from under my bangs.

     "I'm not going anywhere with you." With an almost disappointed frown, he sighs. 

     "So be it." As soon as his sentence is finished, he's sent a tentacle flying in my direction. Sango flings her Hiraikotsu just in time, severing it before it can reach anyone. Sesshomaru cracks his poison whip in Naraku's direction while he's distracted with InuYasha and cuts him in half. Naraku's upper half turns toward us, a cruel smirk on his face, before dissolving into a cloud of purple smoke. We all look around, confused, until Sango collapses to the ground, screaming. 

     "Sango!" I am the first to reach her and immediately know what's wrong. "D**n, he's got her under that same spell he had on me." 

     "How many of your friends must I punish before you come to your senses, girl?" Naraku's voice echoes throughout the area as I clench my hands into fists, grinding my teeth. "When you wish to join me, simply call. I will be listening." And just like that, Sango's pained cries end. Miroku holds her close to him, whispering calming words in the hopes of consoling her. A moment of silence passes as Naraku's final words sink in. 

     "Well, it's obvious what we have to do, isn't it?" Kikyo is the first to speak up. "If we hand her over, nobody else gets hurt." Sesshomaru stands in front of me again, shielding me from her accusing eyes. 

     "We can't do that, she's the only one who can protect the jewel," Shippo calls out, coming to sit beside me where I'm still crouched next to Sango.

     "Duh, I'm here. I am perfectly capable of keeping the jewel pure, we don't need her anymore. She goes with him, I keep the jewel, problem solved!" 

     "And which problem is that, Kikyo?" I ask, standing up. "The Naraku problem or the InuYasha one?" She looks as though she's about to argue but I push my way in front of Sesshomaru and walk over to her, effectively cutting her off. "Don't think I haven't noticed the dirty looks, the catty remarks, and your constant clinging to him. Kikyo, we aren't twelve anymore. I am perfectly content with just having InuYasha as a friend; just because you aren't doesn't mean we're all that insecure."