Wrong Turn Turns Out Right (Ch. 25)

I wake up again to the smell of food; sitting up quickly, I nearly bump heads with Sango who had been about to wake me up.

     "I smell food! Oh, sorry Sango." I'm already up and grabbing a plate full of food. Sango gets over her shock and starts laughing.

     "Jesus Christ, Kagome, you just woke up, are you really starting this early?" I turn to her, mouth full, and ask,

     "How early?" Shippo hops in my lap, having already finished his food.

     "It's nine o'clock." He replies. I shrug and continue eating, barely noticing Sesshomaru sitting rather closely next to me. I nearly jump out of my skin when he rests a hand on my knee, an expectant look in his eyes.

     "Did you say something?" He sighs a bit and rolls his eyes. "Sorry, food." I continue eating, making sure to pay attention this time.

     You're lucky I find you so endearing, otherwise I might find your ignoring me offensive. I roll my eyes, suppressing a smile.

     Oh please, you're fine. He smirks at me and I wink before returning to my food.

     "I asked if you were ready to travel. The others agree it is unwise to remain in one place for too long." I nod my head, still eating. One look around the room reveals two absences; I give Sesshomaru a puzzled look. "The half-breed and miko are supposedly in the village gathering traveling supplies." I nod. They're probably off in the woods somewhere doing god knows what.

     "Kagome," I look towards Miroku's concerned voice. "Are you sure that you're alright enough to travel now?" He's referring to both my wounds and my attacking InuYasha the day before. I square my shoulders, hoping I look more confident than I feel about my wavering control on my inner demon when those two are involved.

     "Yeah, I'll be fine. And if anything goes wrong, we know at least one person can contain me until everything's back under control." Sesshomaru squeezes my knee, gently, in reassurance. "So when are we heading out?" 

     "Now." InuYasha steps inside, one arm slung around Kikyo's shoulders, sending a pointed glare my direction. "Hurry up and let's get going. Naraku's probably already caught on to us by now." I quickly shove the rest of my food in my mouth and let Sesshomaru help me up. 

     "Glad to see he's in a pleasant mood." I whisper to Sango. "What's his deal?" 

     "He doesn't like losing." She replies with a shrug. 

     "But he has Kikyo again, you saw him yesterday. As soon as she came back, he practically jumped at the chance to snog her again." Sango shrugs again.

     "Boys." I roll my eyes.

     "Tell me about it." Sesshomaru walks up then and Sango smiles, jogging to catch up to Miroku and Shippo. 

     "Well, seeing as boys are so difficult, it is a good thing you have digressed from such types." I quirk an eyebrow, looking up at him.

     "If you're not a boy, then what are you?" He looks down at me then, eyes burning, liquid gold, and my breath catches in my throat momentarily. 

      "A man, clearly." I blush, looking at the ground once more. Sesshomaru stops walking then. 

     "What is it?" I ask, looking around. The others continue walking on ahead. "Sessh-" Before I can finish, Sesshomaru's picked me up and jumped into a nearby tree. In the place we'd been just moments before, a long, spiked tentacle is stuck in the ground.

      "Hello, Kagome. Pleasant dreams last night?" My eyes narrow in disgust and I hear Sesshomaru growl beside me. 

     "Naraku."