25 | Avengers, Reunite!

DAY 87

DAY 87

The smell of coffee beans always made Honey's work shifts much better.

She loved the smell of freshly-brewed coffee, the apple-pie danishes, and the cinnamon candle they had perched on the register counter. The scent reminded her of when she was younger and her father would bring her along on his early morning walks, stopping by Harry's cafe for a cup of his decaf coffee. They would always sit at the booth in the corner, surrounded by windows that would let the sunrise in, as he sipped at his coffee and she slurped at her lemonade.

It was one of the bittersweet moments, while her mother was pregnant with Jeremy and she was still technically the only child, absorbing any amount of time she could with her dad before the new baby arrived. 

"Honey Daniels," a familiar voice greeted, pulling her from the reminiscence of her childhood.

As she lifted her brown eyes from the spot she had been focusing on amongst the counter, her cheeks rose as a smile spread across her face. Bruce Banner stood in front of the register, pushing the frame of his glasses up the bridge of his large nose, as he replicated her grin. His salt and pepper colored hair was curlier than the last time she remembered. 

"Bruce," Honey acknowledged through her smile. "Long time, no see."

"Yeah, I've been busy with a new ... project," he hesitated briefly, stuffing his hands into his trouser pockets. "How is life at the cafe?"

"A lot better now that you're here," she teased, flicking her dark waves over her shoulder as she turned towards the coffee makers on the opposite counter. "Plain latte, right?"

"Eh, let's make it a vanilla latte today."

"Vanilla latte, coming right up," she chimed with a small nod, whisking out one of their paper coffee cups and filling it up before turning back towards the counter to slide the latte over to Banner. 

As they exchanged another set of smiles towards each other, the bell on the front door of the coffee ship jingled as it swung open. Peeking around Bruce to greet the new customer, a wider smile appeared on Honey's lips as she watched Steve Rogers walk inside - his blue eyes flickering between the two of them as he realized who else was in the cafe today.

"There really is an Avengers signal on the outside, huh?" Bruce joked as he peered over his shoulder towards Steve, twisting his entire body around as he approached his frozen figure with an outstretched hand. "How are you, Rogers?"