33 | A Walk With Romanoff

DAY 113

DAY 113

Honey Daniels hadn't expected to miss Steve Rogers this much.

Okay - that was a lie, maybe she did.

Wasn't letting go of someone toxic or no good for the soul supposed to feel rejuvenating? She had always been told that it was like a weight lifted from the shoulders, a breath of fresh air. This felt like the complete opposite, instead, she felt more burdened than she ever had before and missed him so much at times that her chest felt tight.

She felt like she was in mourning all over again.

A set of knocks on her apartment door tore Honey from her meaningless staring out of her kitchen window as she washed the same coffee cup for the fifth time. With an exhausted sigh, she let the cup fall back into the sink water carelessly as she wiped her hands on her skirt, heading towards the door without any sign of enthusiasm.

The red-haired goddess was not quite who she expected to see when she swung open the door, but the sight of her sent a surge of hope through her veins, nonetheless.

"You," Honey murmured in confusion. "How did you-"

"Call me Nat," she responded swiftly, interrupting Honey as she sucked in an impatient deep breath. "And no time for specifics, take a walk with me."

Honey's mouth popped open in bewilderment as Nat twirled on her heel to start walking back down the hallway without another word. Blinking slowly, she grabbed the handle of her apartment door, shutting it rapidly behind her as she hurried to keep up with the red head's fast paced walking towards the elevators.

"Okay, well, um - what are you doing here?" Honey's thoughts blurted through her lips as she tried to match Nat's rhythm. "Why are you here?"

"Jeez, you really do talk a lot," Nat noted under her breath, reaching out to press the button along the wall as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Here's the thing, I'm here to save my friend from burying himself too far into the worthless hole he crawled into."

Steve.

She didn't even have to say his name for Honey to feel electricity coursing throughout her body.

"You're a bit late," Honey trailed off quietly, looking down at her shoes as they waited for the doors to swing open. "I've already tried, and epicly failed."

She didn't miss the way that Nat's lips curved upwards in the corners in amusement as the doors of the elevator glided open and they climbed inside. Mimicking the ethereal goddess next to her, Honey leaned up against the wall, feeling the humming of the machinery against her back as she nibbled at her bottom lip.