44 | One Rainy, Thursday Night

DAY 153

DAY 153

The rain drizzled down the windows of her living room, pooling in tiny droplets across the glass surface, the light of the city reflecting off of the water.

The sound of rain had always been one of Honey's favorite things to listen to - a soothing drumming against the outside of the building that could make her doze off in the matter of minutes. She relayed the noise with comfort, the feeling of being cozy, spending time with her father in the kitchen while he drank coffee after his dinner. 

She missed those little moments. 

Her father always told her that rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of coffee and a good book, a memory that made the corners of her lips turn upwards just slightly as she glanced down at the copy of Atonement that rested in her palms, along with the cup of coffee that sat on the coffee table in front of her couch.

Honey had to do something to distract herself from the obvious - where was Steve? And was he okay?

As she collectively sighed, leaning back to flick open the book to that first page for the tenth time in her life, three knocks resonated from her front door. The contemplation of who it could be hadn't even had time to enter her mind before she was flinging herself from the couch cushion, practically running towards the door to whisk it open anxiously. 

A breath that she was holding hostage inside of her lungs until Steve came back to her escaped her full, parted lips now as she laid eyes on his standing figure. Her brown eyes drifted closed partially in relief as she threw her head back, bouncing on her heels before swaying towards him, wrapping her arms around his neck as she inhaled his familiar scent.

"Thank God," she breathed, squeezing him tightly as his arms enveloped around her waist. "I was so worried about you."

"I'm here," Steve reassured her softly, burrowing his face into her dark waves as they hugged each other for a few moments. 

Leaning back faintly, she placed her palms on either side of his face, calming her doubtful thoughts about whether or not she was dreaming. His blue eyes examined her needily, trailing down towards her lips before flickering backup to meet her eyes once more, as a tiny smile formed on his lips. 

"What happened? Did you get the stones? Did it work?"

"Not tonight, Daniels," he shook his head gently, walking their intertwined bodies back inside of her apartment as he closed the door with his boot. "Tonight I just want you. I missed you, so much."