45 | Culmination

DAY 154

DAY 154

culmination - a final part of something, especially a period of time

Vivid rays of sunshine showcased through the beige curtains of Honey's bedroom window - cascading across the room, illuminating her bare skin as she lay next to Steve among the pillows. Her finger traced the faint, translucent hairs along his shoulders, her brown eyes following her movements as his eyes fixated on her face.

The serene silence was blissful. Just the sound of the birds outside announcing the morning filled the room, their bodies intertwined between the sheets that held all of the secrets from last night. It was the calmest she had remembered feeling in the longest time. 

"I have to leave again soon."

Honey didn't respond at first - as much as she knew that they had to discuss everything, she wanted to hold on to the tranquility a while longer. She wished that they could remain like this forever, perhaps in another universe, one without all of the complications of blips and scary infinity stones.

"You got all of the stones," she said as a matter-of-factly, tearing her eyes away from her finger to glance up at him. 

"We did," Steve confirmed quietly. 

She shifted her head against the pillows as she took her bottom lip between her teeth, gnawing slightly as her anxiety began to build. The unspoken elephant in the room felt like it could crush her under its immense weight - things were not bound to be easy from here, in fact, they could only continue to grow more dangerous. A thought she wished she could push from her mind, but it invaded her brain like the plague.

"What does this mean?" Honey asked in a raspy tone, unable to hide her growing fear of the unknown. 

Steve could immediately sense her change in mood, his blue eyes growing softer as he swung his arm over her, gently pulling her body against his as he burrowed his face in her dark waves. His hands always had a calming sensation to them as they rubbed her back, ran through her hair, caressed her warm cheeks - she felt the safest literally in the palms of his large hands.

"It just means that we get to save half of the entire planet," he whispered, his thumbs rubbing circles along her cheekbones. "To make sure Thanos never hurts anyone again." 

"Can't I come with you?"

It was a last ditch effort to cling onto their bubble of bliss.