32 | At The Crossroads

DAY 107

DAY 107

The number nineteen on Steve's apartment door seemed to make her body quiver nervously even more with every second that passed.

Honey Daniels had every intention of waltzing up here, knocking on the door, and demanding that he sit down and have an actual heart-to-heart conversation with her. That was what she deserved, what her soul felt like it needed. There were no excuses that were good enough anymore as to why he couldn't open up to her fully - after everything she had done for him, stuck through just to continue to be around him.

Her feelings were clearly ascending at a quick pace, but were his?

Even so, it was much easier said than done, because now she hardly held the confidence anymore to knock on the door. Her brown eyes had been having a stare off with the black numbers in front of her for the last ten minutes, and she was very obviously losing. Her subconscious feared the worst, the inevitable that she felt in her bones would happen today.

This wasn't going to end the way that she hoped.

This wasn't an eighties rom-com movie that ended with the guy holding the radio outside of her bedroom window.

This was real life. The painfully real life of trying to be with someone whose mental health was on the rocks, someone who had been through too much trauma to process.

Taking a deep breath in through her nose, Honey lifted her knuckles to rap lightly on the wooden door as she exhaled shakily through her lips. The butterflies that were fluttering in her stomach were not the good kind, these were the ones conjured by nerves, by fear. She was terrified of losing it all, terrified of not knowing Steve Rogers, and terrified that she really would never be good enough for him.

The fear of rejection.

Yeah, that was it.

Her heart felt as though it had dropped down into the pits of her stomach as the door swung open, Steve's face filling her view. Stubble had already began to grow back along his jaw and cheeks, and his hair was brushed back into its signature position. He donned a navy blue long sleeved shirt, his sleeves rolled up a quarter of the way, showcasing the muscles in his forearm, and a pair of jeans. The pleasantly surprised glint that gleamed in his blue eyes gave her the smallest bit of hope, but she shoved it back down quicker than it had risen.

"Hey," he greeted airily, like he hadn't been expecting her but wasn't disappointed by it. "I wasn't expecting to see you today, you okay?"

Honey always despised when someone asked her that, it triggered her tear ducts every single time, making water prick at the corner of her eyes.