9

The Enchanted Forest

It was thought that the Enchanted Forest was destroyed during the curse.

And, while that being true, not all of it was destroyed.

A part was saved... by the Evil Queen's mother.

Emma and Mary Margaret made their way through the Enchanted Forest, making a few friends along the way. In a refugee camp, they meet the ever-so-famous warrior Mulan, who accompanies Aurora. 

They also come across Cora, who plays the innocent card at first, but later shows her true colors.

As Mary, Emma, Mulan and Aurora search through the camp that seemed to be filled with dead bodies, they come across a survivor.

They give the man food and water, but Emma doesn't let her guard down so easily. She watches him carefully. She's come across enough liars in her life to never take one too serious. She's been deceived by Cora before, and she doesn't intend on letting that happen again.

" I cannot thank you enough for your kindness," The man says, " Fortune, it seems, has seen fit to show me favor."

As the man drinks his water, Emma leans on the table he sits on.

" An island full of corpses, you're the only one to escape. How exactly did that happen?" She asks.

The man's worry lines are evident and his breath is still shaky from his near-death experience.

" She attacked at night," The man says, " Slaughtered everyone in one fell swoop. When she started ripping people's hearts out, I hid under the bodies of those who had already been killed. Pretended to be dead myself. Mercifully, the ruse worked."

" So much for fortune favoring the brave," Emma mutters.

" It was all I could do to survive."

Emma leans down closer to the man so they can talk face to face.

" I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, " She whispers, " I'm pretty good at knowing when someone is lying to me."

" I'm telling you the truth, " The man says as he looks into her eyes.

Emma gives him a short-lasted smile. She wants to believe him... but there's a part of her telling her something is wrong. Telling her something is off. She just doesn't know what it is.

" We should leave here in case Cora decides to come back," Mulan says to interrupt.

" We should start searching for a new portal back to Storybrooke. I only got about five minutes with my husband, not to mention my grandson," Mary says.

The man can't help but smile at her words.

" You have a grandson?" He asks.

He's amazed at how this young woman could possibly be a grandmother.

" Long story," Mary mutters.

" Well, I know this land well. I can guide you..."

Within seconds, Emma pulls out a blade. She grabs the man by his hair to pull his head back and places the blade at his throat.

" You're not gonna guide us anywhere until you tell us who you really are," She says.

And so, they decided tying the man to a tree was the best course of action so they could get some answers. The man continues with his story about how he's just a poor blacksmith. They don't buy it. Mulan tightens the restraints whilst Emma stands and questions the man. Emma whistles, the sound attracting one of the ogres.

The women pack up, and the man panics. He fights his restrains and pleads for them to show him mercy. As they begin to walk away, the man tries a different tactic.

" Good for you," He chuckles, " You bested me. I can count the amount of people who've done that on one hand."

The women turn around and walk back to him. Emma stands in from of him, very unamused.

" That supposed to be funny?" She asks, " Who are you?"

And finally, the man speaks the truth while Mary Margaret ruffles through his things.

" Killian Jones. But, most people have taken to calling me by my more colorful moniker. Captain Hook."

" As in Scarlett's dog?" Emma asks bemusedly.

Mary Margaret pulls a silver hook out of his satchel, confirming his story to be true.

" No, Emma... as in Scarlett's love," She says.

Hearing the man of the woman he loved, the smirk leaves Killian's face and he turns serious.

" Scarlett..." He whispers.

The ogre roars and the ground tumbles, signaling that they're running out of time.

" Unless you wanna be dinner, you better start talking," Emma says.

" Emma... we can't leave him here to die. We owe it to Scarlett," Mary says.

Emma pauses for a moment. Scarlett has been so kind to her the entire time she's been in Storybrooke... but she's also been cursed. Emma has no idea who Scarlett actually is.

" Cora wanted me to gain your trust so I could learn everything there is to know about Storybrooke. She didn't want any surprises when she finally got over there," Killian says.

" She can't get there. We destroyed the wardrobe," Mary says.

" But the enchantment remains. Cora gathered the ashes to use them to create a portal," He says.

The ogre's roar gets louder and the ogre gets closer.

" Now, if you'll kindly cut me loose... "

" No, we should leave him here to die, to pay for all the lives that he took," Mulan says, her sword pointed towards the pirate.

" That was Cora, not me."

The women attempt to walk away once more, and Killian begins to beg.

" No, wait!" He exclaims, " Please... I need to get back to Scarlett... I love her."

Emma turns around on her heel and walks back to Killian to look him dead in the eyes.

" If you love her... then why did you leave?" She asks.

" I will explain everything... once you cut me loose," He says.

When the ogre appears from the trees, Mary Margaret shoots a single arrow into its eyes. The beast falls down onto the ground, one of the problems having now been eliminated. Emma uses her blade to cut the ropes that bounded the pirate to the tree.

" Start talking," She says.

" Cora offered me something I couldn't refuse... revenge. On the man who took my hand. She offered me the chance to exact my revenge, and live happily ever after with the woman I love. She told me the curse would break us apart... and the only way we could end up together is if I stayed behind with Cora," Killian sighs, " I never thought I would spend 28 years away from her... you have to believe me."

" Why should we?" Emma asks.

" Remind me again... what did you say the name of Scarlett's dog was?" He smirks, " You need me to get back to your land."

" We don't need you, " Emma says, " We're trusting you for Scarlett's sake... but one wrong move... and you never see her again."