xii.

The last night of the first week she couldn't sleep, the one night she hasn't been able to sleep for the past few days

The last night of the first week she couldn't sleep, the one night she hasn't been able to sleep for the past few days. The cold air of the dark circled the room, and Freya countlessly tried to force herself to rest. But the energy was still there, there was nothing she could do about it. Freya hauled herself off of the bed and out of the room, maybe she could just find something else to do for her to feel sleepy. Or even fix herself a late night snack, anything at all.

Hallways were quiet once more, now the moonlight shone through the window openings, it was enough for Freya to see where she was going. The mortal made sure she didn't bump into anything, noticing how it looked more like an obstacle course in the dark.

Making her way into the kitchen, Freya realized that someone must've been here before she arrived, the kettle on the stove still warm and the cupboard ever so opened. "Hot tea, I should make some hot tea," she mumbled, thankful that Druig probably was the one who heated some water in the kettle a moment before. Well, at least she thought it was Druig, knowing that he was the only other person in the house.

She was now used to where things were, how Druig organized the kitchen. Finding a spare cup and the tea, she fixed herself a drink. Upon turning around to stare off into nothing, Freya noticed how the front door was vaguely open.

Odd.

The two always kept the door closed, and it got Freya wondering why it's opened. Curiosity got the better of her as she moved towards the door. "I'm practically in the middle of nowhere," she laughed quite nervously. "What's the worst that could happen?"

Pushing the door open, she was only greeted with Druig's back facing her, the Eternal enjoying a cup of his own drink. He looked lonesome just sitting by himself, might as well join him. Freya made her way to his side, still sitting a distance away from him before she greeted the man with a wave. Of course, Druig looked as if he was concentrated on his thoughts.

She leaned forward to match his view, before waving once again. This time Druig was the one who was startled, taken aback by the waving before it was clear that Freya was the one waving at him. He flashed a closed lip smile at her, the presence of the mortal was enough to make Druig's night a bit better. "Oh- it's just you."

"Gracing you with my presence," Freya beamed, taking a sip from her cup. "What are you doing out here?"

"Just felt like it. I'm going to assume you couldn't sleep."

"Great guess, signs point to yes."

"Well that rhymed."

"I know, this is where my poetic career begins," she beamed, the hint of sarcasm in her voice was evident, which made Druig chuckle. Both sighed in unison, gazed off to the sky for comfort. "I never realized how pretty the stars looked."

"The moon as well," commented Druig. "The moon is beautiful, isn't it?" he added on mindlessly, his attention to the sky though Freya's at him out of shock. Her eyes widened faintly at the words he used, it was confusing to the mortal. Druig felt her gaze on him, looking at her with his eyebrow raised. "Did I say something wrong?"*

"Huh- oh, no- no you didn't," Freya told him quickly, shaking her head with an awkward laugh. She turned to face upwards, avoiding eye contact with him whilst clearing her throat. "Just reminded me of something, that's all. By the way, Druig, I'm planning to stay a bit longer- if that's alright with you of course."

─────────

the moon is beautiful isn't it — /supposedly/ a phrase made by novelist souseki natsume (1867 - 1916) to say i love you [please correct me if i'm wrong!]