xvi.

There I was again tonightForcing laughter, faking smilesSame old tired, lonely placeWalls of insincerity, shifting eyes and vacancy Vanished when I saw your faceAll I can say is, it was enchanting to meet you

Forcing laughter, faking smiles
Same old tired, lonely place
Walls of insincerity, shifting eyes and vacancy
Vanished when I saw your face
All I can say is, it was enchanting to meet you

"For starters, not getting to stop any conflicts, even if you have the power to."

"Keep talking," she urged him to go on.

"Having to live forever."

This caused Freya to scoff. "As a kid, I thought getting to be immortal was fun. Not having to fear the fact you'll just eventually pass, getting to experience everything you want to do-"

"Not getting to grow old, not having the privilege to live the way you humans do." His eyes never left hers. "Thousands of years and not being able to be anything," said Druig. He made his way to sit by her side, looking down at his hands. "I've watched these people grow, Freya. And I couldn't help but envy them sometimes. Most of the time I have to watch someone pass on, whilst I'm still around, just as I looked for years. Remember how I told you that it didn't feel lonely?"

The woman pursed her lips, nodding as she looked off to her front. "Yeah, yeah I do."

"I wasn't lying back then, but now... Now it does. They all get to grow old, experience everything I couldn't. Others get to explore, travel- much like you do. Then there are some who get to live a life with a loved one. Like- like look at you, you have some pretty good life back there in London."

"I wouldn't call it pretty good," she laughed, trying to lighten his mood. "But for the record? It really must've been unfortunate... Maybe when you'll get what you're looking for back in Olympia." Freya placed her hand on his shoulder, patting it gently. She felt him grow tense.

"You know, if I got one small wish, it's probably to get to be human for a day," Druig said with a laugh, glancing at Freya ever so quickly. "Feel that thrill everyone gets when they're living on the edge-"

"Feel the fear when something terribly goes wrong," Freya interrupted him. "It's not as fun as well, you know? Some people have to experience what you've seen, just- in a short-lived manner. You said it yourself, there's always some kind of consequences that follow."

"Maybe so," said Druig, both falling silent.

"Between you and me, though," the mortal continued on. "We probably both need to admire things more often."

DRUIG'S POV

She was smiling, she always found a way to smile, it was contagious. One of those that would just get you to follow along. I couldn't stop myself from doing the same. "I guess you're right," I told her, never would I have ever thought I would be taking any advice from a mortal. But Freya was one who could change anything up, couldn't she?

"I'm always right." I could tell she was joking, that smug, confident look on her face reappearing. "You say I'm unpredictable, I've never heard any immortal person telling me they want to be human."

"Well maybe because I'm the first one you've come across," I played along. My eyes always wandered back to look at her, the way she stifled back laughs, how she fidgeted with her hands.

"Probably, you haven't seen my parents though. They age just like fine wine... What's one human thing you've wanted to experience, by the way?"

"One human thing I want to experience?"

"I, myself, am a certified impermanent being, you can tell me," she laughed.

"Birthdays, it occurred to me that I don't even have one- and those holidays too, yeah those sound fun, don't they?"

"They are, to me at least. Sometimes they're not too enjoyable, but yeah, they are. Maybe one day, if you ever do get to visit London, you could come over to my place and celebrate with me and my friends."

If, if is good enough for me. If it ever came to that, I never hope it did at first, but I find myself wondering about all the chances I had if I was given the right time.

I didn't notice her reaching out for me until I tried to steal a glance from her once more, only this time I noticed her hand in front of me. I wasn't quite sure what she meant, I only looked at her for any other answer.

I couldn't bring myself to use my powers on her, I didn't want to, even if it was just for a brief moment to understand her, something was telling me that I wanted to get to know her without them.

Freya only stifled a laugh at me, reaching out for my hand. I was taken aback by her actions, and suddenly I didn't know how to react. "Druig, we've got to head back inside. It's getting dark out."

"Right- right, we should." I got up quickly, clearing my throat, she watched me lean over with my hand extended to her. She looked hesitant, but she still took my hand in hers, we both were learning how to trust one another. Freya gave me an appreciative nod, me mimicking her nod quickly as I guided her back into the house. She was still healing, I couldn't stand her getting hurt these days.