Chapter 17- The Calm Before the Storm

It had roughly been three days since Marcus and I talked to each other.

I found myself constantly checking my phone just in case he left a call or a text, but it was as if he heard me when I said I quit—he never tried contacting me again. I assumed the plan had been successful since the tabloids were filled of pictures of Marcus and Catherine, headlines of their mysterious break-up. Some of the tabloids made rumored about Marcus finding and falling for another woman—which was half the truth.

He found me, but he didn't fall for me. It was rather one sided. Now that all were said and done, I had played my part and there was nothing else for me to do.

Erin gave up trying to convince me to make him jealous after she saw the look in my eyes. After all, there was no point in making him jealous anyway. We already had packed our bags. We were going back to Vancouver in four days.

As planned, Erin and I had the rest of our remaining days sight-seeing and exploring. We went to Canada's Wonderland. We rode the tallest ride the moment we entered the theme park. It was crowded, draped in sweat as we stood in line under the blazing sun. We walked around the humongous park, mostly because we kept on getting lost, but it was fun!

I experienced gobbling up the notorious funnel cakes. A lot of people were lining up for it even though it was a little too expensive (every theme parks set their prices high anyway so it didn't surprise for me).

And for the first time this week, I let loose. I never once thought of Marcus and our fake relationship charade. I was able to spend time with my best friend, eat however and whatever I want, meet new people while lining up. It was a blast.

Of course, I wouldn't leave Toronto without actually seeing the very reason I came here. The mural.

We sat by the glass windows of a local bistro, in perfect view of what was happening outside. Metal rods stacked up and high to the entirety of the building that I could barely recognize it was a former mural museum I visited a few days ago.

There were plastics covering the windows, men in their construction suit and safety gears coming in and out of the building. They must be going for lunch since it was already ten past noon.

I nervously bit my lips, unsure if going there unannounced would only lead to fruitless outcome. I had called Russell Martinez the other day, the person who promised to give Erin and I a private tour, but he hadn't returned any of my calls.

"Are you getting cold feet now? Let's go," Erin announced as she stood up from her seat, her iced latte drink in her hand.

I looked up warily. "I-I don't know. Let's just wait it out a little bit."

"There you go again. Don't be such a nervous ninny and let's go. This is do or die."

A battle was going on inside my head now. Erin had a point. Do or die. If I wouldn't take the initiative to beg to go inside, even for just one minute to look at the mural, I wouldn't get another chance.

Mom wouldn't allow another "next time" of coming to Toronto. In fact, I might get a mouthful of nagging by the time I get back to Vancouver, but I'd take it all. To see the mural before it'd get painted away for good was a higher priority.

Do or die.

"Let's go."

*****

I found myself boring holes at the large doors that barred me from getting one step closer to my deceased father's mural. It was hard to peek through the door's glass while white plastic covered it from the inside. Taking in a sharp breath, I knocked on the door and my heart continued to pummel faster and stronger that every beat practically rang in my ears.