Chapter 31- Here We Are

*********

Please show your support by voting/comment/sharing this chapter.

*********

When the day of the golden anniversary arrived, my manic brain took over and jitters crawled up in me because I was aware that this time around, I wouldn't be able to ditch the spotlight and the scrutinizing eyes.

I paced back and forth in my hotel room as I bit my nails, thinking all the worst case scenarios that could happen to me. I could accidentally step on my gown while I walked then fall. That could be disastrous, considering that all eyes were on me. I might freeze when they would call my name for my turn to play the piano. Or worse, I might forget all the things I'd learn in piano.

I almost jumped when a loud knock startled me.

"Emerald, the press is waiting downstairs. We should go now," it was my mother from the other side of the door, reminding me for the nth time.

"Coming!" I replied as I put on my high heels. After paying one last glance on my overall look, I pulled my dress up a little to make it easy for me to walk on. The damn dress was light but it felt a little too breezy on one side. My cousins chose the dress and they thought the high cut up to my thighs was alluring. Don't get me wrong, the dress looked immaculate and made me look like I was five inches taller and all but I think they had too much fun selecting a dress for me.

When I stepped out of the room, my mother wasn't the only one in the hallway. The whole family was waiting for me and their eyes gleamed in fascination.

Nana had the most surprised look out of all of them. Her hands covered her mouth and a little teary-eyed, too. "Oh, my. You look absolutely stunning, sweetie."

The amazement in her eyes was amusing and I couldn't help but smile at that. "Thank you, Nana."

My uncle cleared his throat as to get all our attention. "Some of the guests will be arriving soon and we can't let them wait. Remember that the press can be very aggressive with their questions and that you shouldn't feel pressured to answer them. You can politely say that you are either uncomfortable by their question or that you don't know the answer."

I nodded at his every point to confirm that I understood what he said. His eyes then turned to my mother beside me. "You're going to be fine, right?"

"Of course," she assured my uncle then wrapped her arms around my waist. "We are going to be okay."

We began to walk to the elevator and soon enough, we found ourselves in front of the journalists with their respective photographers. There were about twenty people in the room when we arrived. Once they heard the door swung open, the shutters went off as the photographers were on a frenzy to take our pictures while the interviewers mumbled inaudibly.

My mother held my hand as we enter the room, her presence was very well received and I felt less nervous. Nana, the twins, and my grandparents sat behind the room while Uncle Richard, mother and I walked to the platform.

In a matter of seconds, we were sitting by the long table along with individual stand-alone microphones in front of us. The interviewers' eyes were all on us; they seemed calm and collected. Even though my cousins briefed me as to what would happen at this sort of event, I still had mixed feeling with this press conference because for one thing, this was very new to me.

The background noise had died down once my uncle called their attention. Tape recorders were turned, the journalists took out their notepad, ready to write like their life depended on it.