Chapter 18- Mother and Daughter

*********

Please show your support by voting/comment/sharing this chapter.

*********

My brain blanked out the moment my eyes met my mother's icy cold stare. It was even worse when she did not reply at all when I called her out.

My heart pounded harder against my chest at each passing second and my heel planted firmly to the ground that it left me immobile. I wanted to give her a kiss on the cheek just like I always did, but her apparent rage barred me from walking to her. Erin herself was ignored when she had said her hello.

I was scared to death and I was fully aware why.

I originally planned to bring mom here with me, but she declined my offer in many ways more than one. I should be happy that she finally came to Toronto, but her being here was not a good news—not after my silly fake relationship charade with a billionaire had happened.

A surge of panic wash over me. 

Did she know about the deal?

"Erin, could you please leave my daughter and I for a minute. I need to talk to her in private,"

My eyes switched over to my best friend, well aware of her nervousness as her quivering lips muttered a polite answer. She dashed to our bedroom and completely out of sight.

I was still by the door, standing like an idiot, thinking of gazillion things of why she was here. The D.V Aircraft folder in the coffee table was the root of it all. How did she get a copy of that?

Did Marcus...

No, he wouldn't.

But, what if he did?

I wanted to smack my face in disbelief. Just when I was about to go back to Vancouver in peace, mom appeared before me unannounced for God-knows-what.

"Why are you standing around for? Sit," even her icy tone did not fail to send shivers down my spine that I had no choice but obey.

As I walked, my gaze concentrated on the floor until I felt the soft pad of the sofa underneath my lower half.

"How long are you going to hide this from me and your Nana, huh?" Mom pointed at the folder on top of the coffee table, leaving me unnerved. She didn't raise her voice yet it left me stunned, speechless.

My brain tried its best to formulate the best possible answer—the best version of the truth, but it was impossible with mom's piercing gaze.

"I-I was going to tell you when I go home," I replied, my eyes glued to the floor.

"Oh?" My mom scoffed, her voice hinting disbelief. "Just what the hell have you been doing here?"

My head dipped low in shame and my heart pummeled loud heartbeats.

"I can't believe this. You've been gone for almost a month without a single call or text! Your grandma and I didn't raise you to be an irresponsible child!" she yelled some more.

"I am not a child anymore!" I yelled back.

Stunned, mom's eyes rounded in disbelief with her jaw wide open. The back of my ears flamed in shame when I realized that for the first time in my life, I raised my voice. I wasn't the type to talk back which was why mom's eyes bulged in disbelief.

"Not a child, eh?" Mom raised the folder, shaking the filed pieces of paper in the air with mighty rage. "What kind of an adult hides important decisions like selling this house? Just because your grandma gave you permission to use the house, it doesn't mean you own it. Get off your high horse. This is for your grandma and I to decide— not yours!"