CHAPTER 4

One of the few things I hate about pregnancy is the numerous trips to the loo. Even at night. Like right now, it’s like the princess is pressing my womb. I sit up and look at the digital watch on my beside table. I sigh when I see that it’s 3:49am. I go and relieve myself and as I head back to the bedroom, I suddenly feel hungry. I walk out of bedroom and as I am about to descend the stairs, I hear some sounds coming from downstairs. Nobody does some midnight snacking in this house expect from me. It has to be a burglar. Even though this farm house is a smart house and it’s easy to detect an intruder.

I quietly walk back to my room and retrieve my 9mm. I take my silencer from my drawer and attach it in my gun. I walk out of my room and I hear heavy footsteps ascend the stairs. I wait with my gun cocked and ready for action. As soon as he makes an appearance, he takes a few steps and I release that it is indeed an intruder. I aim at his thighs and shoot both of them. He grunts as he goes down. I walk closer to him. He is even wearing a balaclava. He looks at me with his eyes widening. He raises his gun and I quickly hit him with the back of the gun, rendering him unconscious. I rush to Londy’s room and find it empty.

“Fuck.” I now have to drag this man all by myself. I go to wear my robe, take my car keys and head out. I drag him with his legs. When I get to the garage, I struggle to put him in the boot, but I finally do and I close it. I walk to the servants’ quarters and knock on Rain’s door. After a few minutes, she opens. She frowns when she sees me.

“What’s wrong? Is it the baby?” she asks with her voice alarmed. I swallow hard.

“Nothing is wrong. Please go and clean the blood from the stairs to the garage.”

“What happened?”

“Please clean it before anyone wakes up.” I walk to my car and send a message to sis Thandeka. ‘SOS ALBERTON’.

I then drive out. When I get to the warehouse, cars are already driving in. I park with my car boot facing the front door. I get out of the car and go open the boot. I drag the culprit out of the boot and drag him inside. I place him at the centre of the main room and everyone stops what they are doing. Sis Thandeka and bhut Sizwe walk in after a few minutes.

“And then? What is this?” sis Thandeka asks kicking the burglar.

“He tried to break in at the house but luckily I was going for my midnight snack. Which reminds me, I am really hungry.” I brush my belly and they laugh. “I also shot him, so he might bleed to death without telling us why he broke in. I am even shocked that he made it to the stairs without being detected.”

“He got inside the house?” bhut Sizwe asks and I nod. “How? Where the fuck were the guards?” I shrug. “SO you going to give me gestures because you’re hungry?” everyone laughs and I pout. “Asher get her something to eat.” I look at Asher with a smile and he laughs and heads out.

“Audrey, stop the bleeding so that he doesn’t die on us.” T-bone says. Aubrey heads out and comes back with her medical bag. She does a few things to him and the bleeding stops. “Wake him up.” Squash opens his bottled water and splashes the water at the burglar. He wakes up gasping. He looks around and his eyes pop out.

“Morning babe. How are you doing?” Popi asks with a smile squatting to his level.

“Who are you people?” he asks with his eyes still wondering around.