CHAPTER 30

LWANDEKA

An urgent call about Zethu had me driving a 4 hour distance in less than 2 hours. Zethu is family, so hearing a call about her being at the hospital didn’t sit well with me. My husband didn’t even comment about my gangster driving skills this time around. He just made sure that our daughter was strapped in and he actually gave her panado to knock her out before we left. I don’t even know how many speeding tickets I got on the way and I don’t even care. Getting to the hospital, we quickly head inside and manage to locate Squash in the waiting room with most of pride members. He is weeping and bhut Sizwe is trying to comfort him. My body momentarily freeze. A cry of a man can only mean one thing. That shit has really went down and it’s so bad.

“Sbali what happened?” Vuyo asks with his hands on my waist. Bhut Sizwe looks up and sighs. His eyes are red.
“Zethu died in her sleep a few hours ago. The doctors haven’t told us what the cause of her death was. I think they are doing an autopsy right now.” Bhut Sizwe say and I can’t believe the words coming out of his mouth.

I shake my head. “That’s not true. She was okay a few days ago. Yeah she cried about a headache but come on. Don’t joke like that bhuti.” I am already a shaking mess. He sighs and stands up.

“She died in Squash’s arms. There was no pulse. No heartbeat. She was brought in crying about a headache and dizziness. It’s still unexplainable because her symptoms points out that she could have been healed.” My emotions are so high right now, I don’t even feel Flame taking over. I am shocked by Vuyo releasing me abruptly.
“You are really hot.” He says stepping away from me.

I smirk at him and walk out of the waiting room down the corridor to Zethu’s room. I barge in and find her body uncovered. Even from where I am standing, I can see that she is dead cold.

“You are not supposed to be here, miss.” One of the doctors say. I look at her with my head tilted to the side.
“I want answers. My friend died under your watch and you have the guts to keep us in the dark. I want answers and I want them now.” I can feel anger coursing through my veins and I am trying so hard not to burn this whole godforsaken hospital down. The doctors seem nervous right now.

“I promise you miss, we will come and update you in a few moments. We are just finishing up here.” I look at him and just feel like burning him up but I stop myself when I see him sweating like crazy.

“I am giving you two minutes.” I turn around and walk out. Before heading back to the waiting room, something tells me to stop and turn back, so I do that and I spot Zethu or rather Zethu’s spirit. She is standing not far from me. She is looking at me but you can see that she wishes she is in the waiting room with the weeping man who hasn’t stopped crying. “Why did you leave him? Why did you leave us?” our eyes meet and it is only then I see that she is in pain. She is crying silently.

“I love him so much. We had plans for the future. We wanted big things together. It hurts to hear him cry like that about me. I didn’t want to leave him. But you know you can’t do anything. When the angel of death has come, you can’t turn it away. Please tell him that I love him and I will always keep him in my heart.” She wipes her tears and disappears.

I swallow hard and head back to the waiting room. Flame goes to rest and I balance myself with the wall before sliding down and screaming. I can’t believe this. I am finally believing it now that I have seen her spirit. I scream and wail, trying to pull my hair from my scull. This is all just so unbelievable. Squash stands up and comes to kneel in front of me.

“Please don’t cry. We are going to be okay.” He says placing his hand on my shoulder and squeezing it. He is comforting me whereas I should be comforting him. I sniff and wipe my unstoppable tears. I clear my throat.