CHAPTER 21

I really wanted to sort many things out before giving birth. I also wanted to have a talk with Ndabe’s older kids. I didn’t mind them hating me but I couldn’t have them hating on Gram. I know people fall in love with newborns but I hoped to clear that out with the Mpisi children before anything else. It was already Friday and Ahlelelwe’s birthday was tomorrow. Tshedza and Asimbonge were going to arrive at the airport in an hour and their father had asked me to fetch them, hoping that we could clear some things out. He obviously didn’t like me driving with this huge bump of mine but I didn’t want no driver, so he let me go.

The Fortunate issue has been on my mind since the night we spoke about it. I took her advice about not involving Pride but I had to find a way to resolve all of this. So here I am, driving to the Sithole mansion. I am not sure if he is going to help me, but I am hoping for the best. I drive in and park bhut Sizwe’s Maserati before climbing off. He hasn’t asked for it back, so that’s why I am still driving it around. I walk inside the house and find bhut Luvuyo, Soma and Danvers around the kitchen counter laughing about something.
“Hello everyone.” I greet. They all turn around and Luvuyo smiles when he sees me. He stands up and comes to hug me.

“How is he letting you drive around with this belly? I am sure it touches the steering wheel.” He says and I laugh. He leads me to a barstool and I settle down. Yeah I can’t stand for more than two minutes because I will have swollen feet but the swollen feet thing is very compulsory shame and it’s tiring.
“It was either the chauffer or this. So you can imagine my choice.”
“You are so stubborn. I don’t know where we get these stubborn women from.”

“I hope you are not including me in those stubborn women you are talking about.” Sis Lwah says entering the kitchen and Luvuyo laughs.
“Phela wena my sweet rose you are one of the executive members of the Stubborn Women Association.” He says and sis Lwah takes a dish cloth and throws it at him. He continues laughing. She comes to hug me.
“To what do we owe this visit?” she asks.
“I am actually here to see the only white man in this house.” I say pointing at Danvers with my head. He frowns.

“I wonder what is it that you wanna talk about. We will leave you to it. Don’t do something that might get him killed though.” She states with a straight face before pulling her husband and walking out of the kitchen. Soma follows them. Danvers clears his throat.
“Hey Danvers. I am just going to cut straight to the chase because I don’t have a lot of time. Do you have feelings for Fortunate?” he frowns. “Tell me, I won’t tell her. I just want you to answer that question before I move on to what exactly brought me here.”

“She is a wonderful woman with a very strong personality. I won’t say I like her but I don’t hate her. I just acknowledge her as a person who is friends with my bosses.” He speaks with his deep voice which you just can’t get used to. It’s alluring really and exotic sometimes. But I am no whore and I love my Zulu man so much.
“I am sure you know that she likes you, right?” he chuckles.
“She has made that quite clear a number of times before.” I nod.

“Who is your boss? And I am not talking about the Stholes, I mean your actual boss. I know you are in the mafia or some gang. So I need to know who your boss is. I am not asking on behalf of mine but this is a matter of life or death and the situation at hand is really stressing me out. And you know that a pregnant woman cannot be stressed because that might harm the baby.” he looks at me for a full minute without even blinking and he sighs.

“Beast is my boss.” I am taken back by this. “And before you ask, she didn’t hire me to keep the Mrs Safe. I have been working for her since the beginning.” I nod. 
“Well, as you know, Fortunate really likes you. But besides the flirting we all know her for, she wouldn’t take things father with you guys. You know her baby daddy, right?”
“I have seen him, twice I think.”