CHAPTER 10

This is just weird. Normally he is the one who usually calls like all the time to check up on me but today he is just responding to what I am saying and his late responses are killing me. It's Wednesday and I last saw him on Sunday when he dropped me off at home. Well Monday I was super busy with work but I thought he would be romantic and bring me lunch or send flowers. But I guess I was just too ambitious. That weird behaviour of his started on Monday. The last proper text from him was a romantic morning text and after that, the relationship just hit the iceberg. Nigga can't do me like this after I have literally declared war against my family. I am sure they see my actions as treason or something.

You won't believe what my aunt said. She sent me a long voice note, swearing at me in Afrikaans for a whole 3 minutes. She even said she blames Londy because if I didn’t hang around black people for too long, I wouldn’t be attracted to them. What I can say is that if someone who is black would listen to her voice note, they would probably think she was a Police Captain in the apartheid era because her hate for black people is just too much. Maybe her husband or soulmate left her for a black woman. That's always the case with these bitter old woman who can't just seem to mind their own businesses.

I am really pissed off with Ndabe's behaviour. Which is why I am packing my bags just before lunch hour. I know I am not coming back here. I am too tired, so after seeing him, I am going to retire for the day. I pass by Londy's office and inform her that I am leaving. She just chuckles and shakes her head. We have an event to co ordinate on Saturday. I have made sure that all the final preparations have been made. All that's left is to make some final payments and all other small things. I hand her my notes and then drive to Ndabe's company. Arriving there, I go straight to his floor. I find Anele on her desk. She just rolls her eyes and stands up.

“He is not in today. He last came to work on Monday. I was expecting you to know that, wife.” She says the last part in a mocking tone. This girl doesn't know me. I am not from the ghetto but I can be savage if I want to. I go check his office, just to confirm that he is really not in and then I drive to his house. I am happy that I won't bump into Ahlelelwe. I love her, I really do, but I am not in a good mood to entertain her right now. Ndabe told me that his kids are staying over at his sister's place since it's the holidays and they will be coming back on Friday. I am still not ready to meet them. I just told him that it would be better if I meet them on their next school holidays. I barge into his house shouting his name. After shouting it nearly 10 times, he makes an appearance. He is limping a bit but he is trying to hide it.

“And then? What happened to you?” he shakes his head.

“Nothing. Just a silly fight between men who can sometimes be boys.”

“Just a silly fight? How can it be a silly one if you're limping? And is that a black eye? What happened Ndabe? Who hit you?” he keeps quiet looking at him. I don't cower away from his stare. He chuckles.

“What brings you here?”

“So now I am not supposed to check on my man if he is suddenly being weird after the romantic and hectic weekend we had? I even thought you had some bitch over. And that's why you didn't come to see me or even be a bit romantic on the phone.” He smiles a bit

“I am sorry if I made you feel like that. Nothing has changed. I still love you the same way I did on Sunday. I Just wanted to heal from my wounds because I knew you would ask questions.”

“You haven't even hugged me or asked how your princess is since I came in here.” He sighs and steps closer to me. He opens his arms and I go hug him.

“I love you.” He kisses my head.

“I love you too.”

“Now how is my princess doing?” I giggle and shake my head.

“She is doing okay. It's just that she is hungry.”

“I think MaSimelane has already prepared my lunch. She always make sure that it's more than enough. Let me go check…”

“Ow no baby. Go sit in the lounge. I will go check if there is lunch prepared and if it's enough for the both of us.” He nods and then heads to the lounge. I walk to the kitchen and find his helper placing a plate on the counter. We haven't been formally introduced but I know that she is here every time and only goes home on December, Easter and Winter Holidays. “Hello. I am Dakota.” She looks at me and nods. Why do I feel like I am being judged here?

“You can go sit down. I will bring both your lunches at the lounge.”

“Ohh okay. You already know who I am?”

“When you're the talk of the house almost everyday, it's compulsory to know you. Ahlelelwe won't shut up about you and Mr. Mpisi also talks about you sometimes.” Okay. This is weird.

“I will be in the lounge then, MaSimelane.” She nods. I walk to the lounge and go sit next to Ndabe. He places his hand on my belly.

“Hello baby Gram.” He bends down a bit and kisses it. He then raises his head and looks at me.

“Don’t get too serious with me. I am hungry, so I might not value anything you say.” He laughs. He brings me closer to him. I can see that he wants us to cuddle. So I put my leg over his lap and place my head on his chest. His hand travel to my butt and it stays there. “What did you want to say?”

“I thought you were hungry.” I laugh and he also laugh. “I lost my wife almost 3 years ago. I never thought that I would find happiness and love again in life. But all that changed when I saw this beautiful girl at a hospital. She was carrying a baby boy. She looked at me with a smile and said, ‘you are rude big bro. How can you come with a person and not introduce him?’ I swear your voice fired up something in me. I loved you since then. And you know how people say ‘men always know when they have met the women they want to marry and spend the rest of their lives with.’ Well I knew that I had been given a second chance in love and life in general because I was partly dead inside. I even lived in a penthouse and hardly saw my kids. Buy after meeting you for the first time, I came back home. I took Ahlelelwe out and I went to visit Tshedza and Asimbonge at their schools. It's like seeing you made me alive again. So I am grateful for your presence in my life and don’t be surprised if I pop the question soon.” He perks my lips. I am shocked by all of this coming out from his mouth.

“Aren't you bothered about the drama with my family? And I haven't even met your family. What if they don’t like me or accept me? What if your other kids hate me or think I am trying to erase their mother? I mean even Ahlelelwe calls me mommy. That might be a problem.”

“My kids will love you. Even if they don’t at the beginning, they will learn to love because you are lovable and you are an amazing person. You need not to worry about my family. Them liking you or not liking you doesn't matter to me. They will have to deal.” I chuckle. MaSimelane brings food and she places it on the coffee table. It's chicken salad with fries and juice.

“Here is your lunch Sir and Miss Dakota.” She smiles a bit. I move away from Ndabe and he sits up.

“Thank you KaMagutshwa.” She smiles and heads back to the kitchen.

“She was giving me weird vibes but I guess I am just paranoid.” He chuckles looking me. He hands me his plate and takes mine.

“Just in case she decided to poison you. Better be me on the hospital bed rather you and the baby.” I laugh and shake my head.

“Where would she get the muti so fast?”

“You may never know.” He wiggles his eyebrows and we both laugh.