CHAPTER 36

I am glad that the speech session is over. The only thing left is a surprise from Londy, as stated on the programme. So I don’t make a big deal of my parents excusing me from the party. We settle on the lounge and I can see my mother looking around and nodding in approval. I am just going to sit here and wait for them to start talking. But I make eye contact with Ndabe when my tummy grumbles. He laughs before standing up and heading out.

“I am sorry, my child. I was an idiot and I was stupid.” My father starts off. I somehow knew he would be the one to speak out first since he loves me more than my mother does. And I know he missed me more. He clears his throat. I can see how this talk is making him uncomfortable. “I allowed my stupidity to cloud my judgement and I abandoned you at a time where you needed me the most. I know how vulnerable and needy pregnant women can be. I have experienced it first hand and I should’ve known better. Please forgive me.” his words melt whatever ice that was inside my heart. I give him a small smile. Ndabe returns with a plate and my mouth instantly waters. It contains creamy samp with beef curry and a few salads. My current favourite. He hands me the plate and bottled water which he always encourages me to drink.

“There is a fight I have to break between Ahle and Asi. They are fighting over the cakes.” I laugh. Those two love sugar. When Asimbonge isn’t too invested in video games, he loves consuming sugar. There is plenty of cakes in the cake bar but I am sure they are more than happy to fight over one particular cake.

“It’s okay. You can go.” He perks my lips before walking away. I start digging in.
“Josh came to see us a week ago.” Mom starts off.
“Did he now?” I mutter sarcastically and she sighs.

“He told us about the Mpisi family coming to pay for your dowry. He said a lot of things. But he also did say that he put the dowry money in a trust fund for baby Gram. We are sorry that our hate for black people made us abandon you. We love you so much and we wanna be there with you and our granddaughter, only if you will let us.” I sigh and drink some water.

“I hear you but today is a really special day for me. I just got married and I came back to find out that my mother in law threw a surprise baby shower for me. I don’t need all the heavy talk. Maybe tomorrow.”
“But do you forgive us?” my dad asks and I chuckle.

“You know forgiveness is not a switch that you can just turn on and off anytime. You did hurt my feelings and broke my heart. It will take time for me to come around. Hopefully it will be before Gram because I want her to come to a warm world where she is loved and accepted by everyone in her life.” Dad quickly comes to sit next to me. He places his hand on my shoulder.

“You don’t have to worry about your child. She will receive all the love she deserves. No one will is going to treat her otherwise.” I smile.
“I know.”
“So he married you without getting my blessing?” I roll my eyes.
“I am pretty sure you would’ve set the dogs on him if he came home to ask for them.” he chuckles.
“I am not that bad. I just want what’s best for my daughter.”

“And he is what’s best for me. I love him and I see a future with him. He is a great father and I know he will be an even better father to Gram.”
“Couldn’t he be a tad younger?” mom asks in a low tone and dad throws her a stern glance. She pouts and sits back.
“Are we done here?” I realize that that came off harsher than intended. “You can come join the party. In fact I am sure Mrs. Mpisi will be delighted to host you.”

Mom shrugs. “I suppose we can stick around for an hour or so.” I chuckle and then stand up, taking huge bites of my food. I walk to the kitchen with an almost empty plate. I find Mpisi’s sister laughing with Ndabe’s ex-wife’s sister. Okay. I greet them and place the plate on the sink. Someone will surely wash it.

“So you finally held him down?” the ex’s sister asks. I don’t even know her name and I don’t think I will get along with Mpisi’s sister if she is friends with someone who clearly hates me.
“Why?” I ask with a smirk. “Were you hoping to be the one warming his bed? Shame, pity he likes them young and fresh nowadays.”

“That abomination in your belly won’t be welcomed by the Mpisi ancestors, ever.” Mpisi’s sister speaks up and I actually laugh. I thought she hated me in private but I can see that she doesn’t care about showing her hate for me even in public.

“I don’t really care about what ancestors do or think about in their time because I am sure they are always bored. I don’t believe in them and my child won’t be affected by any of their ‘doings’. Now if you would excuse me, I have a party to get back to.” I walk away. Ndabe’s sister has the nerve. At least I know who I shouldn’t leave my baby with.

“What did those old ladies say to you?” Sis Thandeka startles me as I step out of the corridor.
“Gosh, don’t scare me like that. But I am sure you heard them with your super hearing.” She laughs.
“You want me to deal with them?” I quickly shake my head.
“They are not worth it.” She nods.

“But if they threaten Gram’s wellbeing, I will deal with them fast.”
“I know you will.” She chuckles. We head back to the tent and I giggle when I see a piñata hooked up in the middle of the tent.

“This was your husband’s idea. Everything in there is yours.” Londy beams as soon as she sees me. She hands me a bat and I swing it but it misses the target. Everyone laughs. “That’s cheating. I have to blindfold you.” I roll my eyes and she chuckles.

“What if I fall and hurt myself?”

Ndabe comes forward. “I got you, love.” I smile and let Londy blindfold me. Ndabe gentle pushes me forward. “You can hit now.”

I swing the bat a couple of times before finally hitting it. I feel a rain of sweets and something solid hitting me. Ndabe takes off the blindfold and I blink a few times before looking on the floor around me. I laugh at the R200 notes on the ground. That is so Mpisi. But what puzzles me is keys in the mist of the money and sweets. Bending in my condition is very hard but I do so because I am curious. My eyes pop out when I realize that it is car keys and what I think is a key for opening a room. I scream when I see the logo on the car key. I don’t even care about the money right now. My head is set on the keys.

“You bought me a Jaguar!” he laughs.
“A little birdie told me you wanted to buy a car using my card. Luckily you didn’t ruin my plans because I had planned to buy you one a while ago.” I take his head and literally drag him excitedly like a kid rushing to an ice cream date.

“I wanna see it. Now.” Everyone laughs, he also laughs and leads me to the driveway but we go around the yard. I gasp when my eyes land on the silver Jaguar F-Pace. I take it all in and tears just stream down my cheeks. Great. Another breakdown. He wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my temples.

“Happy Wedding Day, Mrs. Mpisi. This is the start of our journey. Just know that every year on this day, you will get a gift from your new husband. Possible a new car every time.” I giggle while wiping my tears. I turn to face him.

“I love you.”
“No, I love you.” he states kissing me and I laugh. “Now how about you check out your new car but you are not taking it for a spin.” I roll my eyes still laughing.

This dramatic charming husband of mine. I approach my car. I smile, seeing the number place ‘MRS MPIS’. I open the door and climb inside. I take a deep breath and just look around. Out of curiosity, I turn on the engine and when it roars, I squeal before giggling. I slide out and go hug Ndabe.

“Asibe Happy muntu wami.” He laughs and dances with me, not minding that there is no music.