CHAPTER 44

The past few months have been long and tiring. Having a newborn is no joke. At the beginning you think they are nice and quiet but all that changes as they grow bigger and longer. It’s safe to say that my baby is a siren. She cries all the time. The only time she is quite is when she is well fed, taking a bath or when someone is holding her. She doesn’t mind waking us up at dawn just for us to stare at her. She is such a drama queen. I can’t wait for her to reach 1 year then I send her straight to crèche. She is Ndabe’s favourite person in the whole world. He once even went with her to the office and she hardly cries when she is in daddy’s hands. She is the biggest sellout after those corrupt politicians.

On the other news, my best friend and my brother are engaged. When she called me in the middle of the night to inform me, I screamed and that woke up the Mpisi diva. My brother is paying for the dowry soon and then they will have a Swati traditional wedding. A white wedding will follow next year, although Londy made it clear that she doesn’t want the white wedding. She will only participate because it’s part of our culture.

I, on the other hand, recently had my traditional and white wedding. It was a very joyous occasion which my rude aunt didn’t attend and I was so glad for her absence. I told Ndabe my feelings about his late wife’s sister and he promised me that they will never attend any Mpisi event or ceremony unless it includes the kids because they are the only ties they have with the Mpisi family. I thought he wasn’t going to like that but he proved me wrong. It is one thing for your husband to listen to you but it’s a whole different thing when he understands you and sees reason.

Fortunate and Danvers are officially dating but I don’t know about wedding bells soon. Sis Thandeka is glowing in her pregnancy but she is so short tempered. I have witnessed one of her episodes. She just gets violent and starts shouting at everyone when things don’t get done her way. When she is done with the tantrum, she sits down on the floor and wails. If I were bhut Sizwe, I would never get her pregnant again because wow, her hormones are on overdrive. The only people who are capable of calming her down and the twins, Yamihle and Elmira. When her eyes land on those innocent souls, her whole rage disappears into thin air. Pregnancy is not normal, I tell you. Sis Lwah and her husband are, well those two are so obsessed with each other. They have become conjoined twins and I have been hearing hints about them moving to Barkly West permanently because, apparently they love the quiet the little town provides. I am happy for whatever decision they take.

“Babe, she is sitting on her own.” A voice startles me and I turn to see Elmira sitting on the sink in her grey hoodie gown, playing with her feet. She has nothing balancing her.
“OMG! The little devil angel looks so cute right now.” I beam and Ndabe laughs.

“Keep calling my baby a little devil angel and your vagina will be hot as hell within an hour.” He threatens and I just roll my eyes before moving towards Elmira. She smiles when she sees me and extends her arms. She loves being in someone’s arms.

“Take your little angel, I have to get dressed.” I say looking at Ndabe and Elmira screams as soon as I turn my back on her. God, my daughter is such a drama queen. I huff and pick her up. She giggles and places her tiny cute hands on my cheeks. How can I not melt with that giggle? “Don’t say a word.” I threaten Ndabe as I pass him and he laughs.

I head to the nursery and lotion my baby’s body. I get her dressed up in a white baby mock neck tee and maroon puff sleeve bow front dress with white tights and burgundy sneakers. I put on a hairband on her heads and spray her with a little bit of baby perfume. My baby looks like one of those kids who appear in ads. She is my mini model. I place her on the cot with her favourite toy and then back her bag. When I am done, I carry her to my bedroom and hand her to Ndabe. I don’t care if he is not done getting dressed.