CHAPTER 32

LINDELWA ‘LINDY’ NINELA

“Schucks, I need to leave.” Dakota says after checking out a message from her phone. She is already halfway through her second cake slice. I have just finished my first cupcake. I will definitely eat the other one at home.
“What’s the rush?” I ask. She frowns a bit.
“This man I am marrying says it’s past my nap time. He can be too much sometimes.” I chuckle. She quickly finishes her cake.
“He is the one who is here to fetch you? What about your car?”

“One of his guards is here for me. He will sort out the car issue. That car is boring me though. So Monday we are going to go car shopping. I am not returning his card. He won’t know what hit him, Mr. no limit.” I laugh. “Maybe I will get an expensive watch or handbag for you just for being my acquaintance for the day.” this girl is killing me.
“Thatha real housewife of Joburg.” She breaks into laugher.

“Goals, love.” she calls for the waiter and he comes. “My takeaway please. I am leaving in a minute.” The waiter nods and then walks away. “Anyways let me leave you two love birds to figure out whatever shit is happening between you. And you,” she points at Zweli, “I am only going to connect you with my fiancé if you two are together. Like a double date affair.” She winks before standing up and taking her half-done milkshake. She walks to the bar and leans in, talking to the lady at the bar. She is such a whole mood.

“So, you like me?” Zweli asks leaning back with a smirk. I roll my eyes.
“I think we have already established that but if you are going to be a jerk about it, maybe my feelings for you will miraculously deplete, leaving you saying ‘I blew it’.” He breaks into laughter. “I am serious. Yeah sure, I like you but the ball is in your court now.” He nods with a smirk. He takes a sip in his drink and sits back.

“I fell for you on that day I saw you with your friend. The day we even had lunch together with Nancy. It might have looked like I was interested in your friend but truth be told, I was more attracted to you. But you were a lot younger back then. I just told myself that I should wait for you to grow up and damn, look at you now.” He says checking me out and biting his lip. Typical man behaviour.

“Could you not make it obvious that you are checking me out?” he laughs and raises his hands in surrender.
“I can’t help it though. You look really sexy.” The butterflies in my stomach though. I can’t spend another minute with this man without making a complete idiot of myself.
“I should get going.” I put my phone in my bag. He quickly grabs my hand.

“Don’t go. Let me settle the bill and maybe we can take a stroll around the mall. I want to get to know you better. So please, a chance.” I sigh and nod. He settles the bill and we both head out. He is walking behind me. “But that ass, Lindelwa. Damn.” I laugh. I have even forgot about my cupcake but I am definitely going to order him to buy a pack of them from Enhle’s Sweet Tooth since it is his fault that I forgot my cake.

“You are sexualizing me and that’s not a good feeling.”

“Sorry.” He catches up with me, holds my hand and we continue walking. I am feeling giddy and I think I am going crazy, but his hand on mine feels ticklish. If I wasn’t in public, I am sure I would’ve laughed like an idiot right now. That’s how much I like him. When I get home, I am definitely going to relive this moment. He squeezes my hand and I look at him. “Did you hear what I just said?” I shake my head.

“Sorry, can you please repeat it?”
“Wow, am I that dreamy?” I giggle and shake my head. “So what do you want to do?” I look at him with my eyes popped out.
“Hey, you’re the one who said you want to spend time with me. I am sure you had something in mind.”
“Is there a new movie that you would like to watch? I am sure we can go to the cinema and catch it in time.” He suddenly sounds nervous. I am sure that’s not because of me.

“Marry Me.” he frowns and I laugh. “Not you silly. The name of the movie I would like to watch is Marry Me. it stars Jennifer Lopez.” He smiles.
“For a second there I thought you were proposing.”
“You are stupid.” He chuckles. We head to the cinema. “You owe me cakes by the way.” He frowns and I laugh.

«««»»»

THANDEKA MNGUNI

Zethu’s death really hit us. She was like a sister to me. She worked for us for close to 6 years. She was practically family. So her passing really broke my heart. Sizwe has been very supporting towards Squash who is like a zombie. I can’t imagine what he is feeling.

But my boys don’t know whether it’s winter or summer, night or day. They just want attention and they actually have preferences now. There is a park not far from where we stay. It has a jungle gym and they love playing there. Like now, they are crying, wanting to go there. I dress them up in joggers, long sleeved tees and sneakers. They look so cute. So many girls are going to have sleepless nights because of them. I pack a few snacks in my backpack and we head downstairs. Because they can be fussy and want to be carried at times, I am taking the twin pram with me.

I strap them in and we walk out. My husband parks his car not far from us and climbs off. He looks super drained. Today they were supposed to go fetch Zethu’s body from the morgue to her home, her parents’ home. I can imagine how Squash was.

“Where are you boys taking my wife?” he asks unstrapping Miso and carrying him. I giggle.
“We are going to the park. I figured they need some fresh air.” I respond and he nods with a smile.
“Okay. Let me quickly freshen up and then come with you.”
“Babakhe I am sure you are tired. Plus you are not invited. This is a mother-sons outing.” He laughs.

“I don’t need an invite. If you don’t wanna wait for me, then I will take Miso inside and I am pretty sure Simi won’t have fun in the absence of his brother.”
“You are evil.” He laughs again. He comes to kiss my lips and then walk inside with Miso. I chuckle smh. He is so annoying. I unstrap Simi and kiss him. “How about a mini photoshoot, my prince?” he smiles adorably and nods.

I am sure he didn’t understand a work I said. I place him on the hammock and start taking pictures. The triplets (my twins featuring Yamihle) they are used to people taking photos of them. So the moment you indicate that you are taking pictures, they always strike a few hilarious poses. I ask one of the guards to take pictures of both my son and I. Sizwe and Miso come to join us. After we are done, we walk out of the yard, leaving the pram behind.

“How is everything at the Thahane household?” I ask and he sighs.
“As sad as you can expect it to me. Squash is a mess. He hasn’t had much sleep the whole week. It’s tough. I don’t wish to go through what he is going through. Please make sure I die before you.” I laugh.

“As if I can control how and when you die? But I am sure I will live longer because of Silo.” He smiles and blows a kiss. Simi catches it and we just laugh at him. We get to the park and the minute we place the twins on the ground, they rush to the jungle gym.
“Another one, mama wabantwana bami.” I frown looking at him and I finally get what he is saying. I punch him lightly on the forearm.
“You’re crazy. Andizi love.” he laughs. I go join the boys.

We allow them to play for about half an hour. They finally get tired and we carry them. We walk to the nearby ice cream truck. The way my kids love ice cream from this truck, the owner was even forced to order smaller cups for them. Sizwe buys ice cream for all of us and we chill at the bench eating it.

“Nice.” Miso comments and we laugh at him. That’s the only word he has mastered apart from mama, baba, dodo (gogo) and nani (auntie).
“Yes.” Simi chirps in. that is his signature word. The owner packs up two small ice cream containers and hands them to Sizwe.

“I know they will want them tomorrow.” She says with a smile and we chuckle nodding because we know she is telling the truth. In fact they can demand them the moment we get home. We bid farewell to her and head home.