CHAPTER 19

NARRATED
Ma’Khanyi had asked for a Ndlovu- Mnguni family meeting because she wanted to officially tell them about Gareth and also inform them about the engagement. Gareth had proposed to her a month ago but she decided to keep it a secret until she had told the two families. She knew the possibility of the families not agreeing with her decision, seeing that Gareth was white, but she was determined to get this done and over with.

She was in her house at Umzimkhulu when cars started arriving. She was only meeting with the elders and would inform her kids once she was back in Joburg. The Mnguni family were the first ones to enter and later the Ndlovus entered. They settled in the lounge and she brought drinks with cakes for them. She also sat down.

“What a warm welcome, makoti. If I didn’t know better, I would say you are bribing us for something.” Babomdala said teasingly and they all chuckled.
“Not bribing per say, but I wanted to inform you about something very important.” Nokukhanya said and everyone gave her undivided attention. She exhaled. “It’s been 9 years since my husband, Ntokozo, passed on. I loved him so much and I still do, even now. Spending 17 years with someone, they become a part of you that can never be taken away, even if they die. He lives within me and I feel his love and warmth every day. So don’t let what I am about to tell you make you think that I don’t love him anymore.”

“Talk dade, we are listening.” Bongani said as he leaned forward. Most of the people in the room had a slight idea of what she wanted to say but they decided to let her talk.
“When I moved to Joburg, my main aim was to be closer to my daughter and her small family. To be there for my granddaughter whenever she needed me. But then I learnt that my presence and my close proximity made all my kids feel safe and more loved, so that’s why I also moved the twins. Within a few months in Jozi, I caught the attention of a very handsome and kind man. We started dating and when I could see that he had pure intentions, I decided to introduce him to my kids. Well it wasn’t really a planned decision, Lwandeka caught us and I had to come clean because I wasn’t ashamed of him.” they all laughed.

“Ntokozo’s daughter is exactly like her father.” Muzi said and Ma’Khanyi giggled.
“So the man’s name is Gareth Walker. He is a divorcee and has 5 kids.”
“He is white?” Lindiwe asked appalled and Nokukhanya nodded.
“Both you and him together with your kids can play against Bafana-Bafana without any assistance.” Babomdala said and Nokukhanya laughed because she caught on. Babomdala cleared his throat and leaned forward. “Makoti you don’t have to worry. Whether you move on or not, you will always be a Mnguni wife. We love you and you are family. Even if you moved on months after our brother had died, we wouldn’t have tried to stop you or bullshitted you into some tradition. Our brother is gone and is never coming back, so you are free to do whatever you want.” Nokukhanya smiled as she tried to stop the tears.

“So you and your daughter have a thing for white men?” Bongani asked and everyone laughed.
“When are we meeting Van Vyk?” Muzi asked and Nokukhanya broke into laughter.
“He is not an Afrikaner. His home language is English and his family is originally from the UK. Are you guys sure you’re ready to meet him? Because he is here.” she said.

“You can call him in makoti.” Babomdala said as he went back to eating. Nokukhanya stood up and went to the bedroom. She found Gareth laughing with someone on the phone. She decided to eavesdrop and what she heard made her heart swell. Gareth was on a video call with Yamihle and she was making meaningless conversation but it was so cute to listen to. Gareth saw her and he wrapped up the call. He stood up and went to her.
“So, do we have their approval to move forward with everything?” he asked and he placed his hands on her wide hips. She smiled.

“You know I didn’t need their approval. I just wanted to inform them in a dignified way. And I have, now they want to meet you.” Gareth exhaled held her hand. They both walked to the lounge and they sat down on the vacant two seater couch. “Mnguni and Ndlovu family, this is Gareth Walker. Gareth, this is my family. Ntokozo’s older brother and his wife; Muzi and his wife, Lindiwe who also happen to be my sister; my brother Bongani and his wife.”

“Nice to finally meet you all. Khanyo told me about you.” Gareth said feeling a bit intimidated but didn’t show.
“Really?” babomdala asked with his eyebrows raised. “What did she say about me?”
“She said that you have been like a father figure to her children ever since her husband died and she appreciated that very much. And she also said that you are the easiest to talk to in the Mnguni family, after Ntokozo of course.”- Gareth.

“You don’t have a problem with her loving another man?” Muzi asked. “Because I think I would be very jealous if my woman talked about her dead ex often.” Gareth chuckled.
“We are both old and matured. We are way past feeling jealous about things that we can’t change. When I separated with my wife, I never thought that I would love another woman the way I did with her or even more, but I do now. I no longer love my ex-wife but I do care for her, even though she wronged me. Ntokozo never wronged Khanyo or left her, so she doesn’t have to force herself to get over him. I know she can love us both but she loves me more because I am the present and the future.” He said confidently and Nokukhanya held his hand, smiling at him.

“Well I am happy if you are happy, MaNdlovu. With the way you loved our brother and the time it took for you to move on, we didn’t think you would open your heart for someone else again, but we are happy that you are giving yourself another chance at love.” Babomdala said with a smile as he stood up and extended his hand to Gareth who stood up and shook Babomdala’s hand. “Welcome to the family, Walker. Don’t hurt our daughter in law because we know how to punish those to harm our loved ones. Also if she gives you trouble, feel free to tell us. We will resolve any issue you have.”

Gareth smiled. “Thank you for the welcome.” The others also stood up and shook his hand. Lindiwe even hugged him.
“I am happy that my sister has found love once again. I wish you all the best and Gareth, from now on you’re family. If you need us, don’t be shy to ask for help. If we also need you, we will contact you.” Lindiwe said and Gareth nodded.

“Well since everyone is still in a good mood, I would like to invite you guys to our wedding dinner / celebration which is in three weeks. Seeing that we both have made it to the alter, we just wanted to go for something different. Something intimate and simple. That’s one of the reasons for this meeting. Gareth wanted to know if he is required to pay lobola or not.” Khanyo said when everyone settled back down.

“Culturally, he is supposed to pay lobola to the Mnguni family but because of our cultural differences, we won’t force our traditions down your throat. You don’t have to pay for lobola, but you can if MaNdlovu wants you to.” babomdala said.
“I am fine with anything, bhuti.” Khanyo said.

“Since your wedding is not going to be a big thing, I assume that you also won’t have a traditional wedding, so I also think lobola is not necessary. Just go and enjoy yourselves. Go to your honeymoon, travel the world and just keep on loving each other.” Bongani stated with a smile. Khanyo stood up and went to hug him.
“Thank you bhuty.” She went back to her seat. “So the dinner will be at Gareth’s house in Joburg. You will get your invites tomorrow.”

“What is the dress code?” Muzi asked.
“Just dress to impress, bhuti. You can even wear your wedding suit.” She said and he laughed.
“That one has been ravaged by the rats. Sizwe will have to buy me a new one and a hat with a feather.”
“You are not going to the Feather Awards, so there is no need for uphaphe.” Lindiwe said rolling her eyes and everyone laughed. “Idrama babakhe.” She said giggling and Muzi just pouted, sulking and that earned him even more laughs.