034. Be Safe.

ON THE way to the Crain house, John B glanced back. "Alright, you guys got rope?" John B says. "Got it." Pope raised the rope. "Grappling hook?" The curly haired boy asked. "We don't have a grappling hook. We're not Batman." Pope says in response, in a sassy tone. "Pulley?" John B asked as they got close.

"Check." Kie nods. "Dark clothes?" John B asked and Josie glanced around. Everyone was all in black. "Got it." She says. "Flashlights?" John B then asked. "Check." Sarah said as Josie clicks her flashlight off and on.

"Alright. Good. We're ready."

"Let's go get rich, guys."

"Yeah, hell yeah." Kie smiles and John B hops out first, going around the Twinkie. "Let's go, boys." Josie says, pulling on her beanie. "And girls." Kie added, smirking at Josie who glanced at her. "Right." She adjusted her hat as the door is opened by John B.

"Let's roll."

"Wait, wait." John B stops them and they all looked at him. "I wanna say thank you, guys. Seriously." He glanced at each one of them. "It means a lot to me that you're here tonight." He says and they all smile at him. "Always." Kie says, after rolling her eyes and John B chuckles softly. "Of course, man." Pope said and reached over to do their handshake.

"My man."

John B looked at Josie who just nods, smiling at him and then John B glanced over to Sarah who's eyes are already on him. "Alright, we done with this circle jerk? Can we go do this?" JJ asked, the rope slung over his shoulder. "Yep." Sarah nods as they all hop out. "Let's get that wheat in the water." Josie says.

"Weed? I'm up for weed." JJ says and Josie glanced back at him as he hops out. "Wheat. I said wheat." She says as she walks up to the wall with Sarah and Kie. "After you." Sarah says but Kie gestured. "Ladies first." She says and the two girls look at Josie who just rolls her eyes. "Hold my flashlight, Kie," she held it out before she climbed up and Sarah goes next, "alley-oop." The blonde says, climbing over.

The group of teens quietly made their way through the bushes and trees surrounding Crain house. They get to the house and a light went on, "shit! Shit!" Sarah gasped as they all rush to hide. "Go, go, go, go." John B said right away as they all rush to turn off their flashlights. "Flashlights." Kie tells them.

"It's on strobe!" JJ says as he pressed the button and they stay hidden. "Shh," John B raised his finger to his mouth. "Okay, so she has motion sensor lights." Pope says, glancing at JJ then looked over at John B.

"We could, uh... move really slowly, maybe?" JJ says and Josie's face scrunched up. "What?" Sarah says. "That's not it works, J." Josie said as she looks over at the house. "Oh, shit. Let's throw a rock at it." John B whispers. "What?" Pope looks at him. "That's a really good idea actually. Let the axe murderer know that we're here." Kiara says, staring blankly at John B. "Throw a rock at it?" Josie asks.

"Okay, you guys have a better idea?"

"Literally anything but that."

"What about the breaker?" Sarah spoke up making them look over at her. "In the circuit box on the porch. We use to play hide-and-seek here as kids. And if we were brave enough, we'd go all the way up to the porch. I've seen it." Sarah says and John B shakes his head.

"No, no. You're not going in the house alone." He denied right away. "Watch me." She says and Josie raised her brow. "Crain chops people into pieces." JJ said and Josie glanced at him. "If you believe that, but she's like what, 85?" Sarah tells him. "Yeah, something like that." JJ shrugs his shoulders as he responds.

"She's probably barely still kicking."

"Hey, Jo and I'll go with you." Kie suddenly volunteered making Josie look at her. "Yeah." Sarah nods softly. "Okay. We'll wait for your signal." Pope says and the girls get up. Like it's a natural reoccurrence, Kie's hand is somehow in Josie's again. "Okay, cool." Sarah says. "Hey!" John B stops the three.

"Be safe." He tells Sarah. "We will." Sarah nods before she walks away with the two girls following behind her. They make their way to the door, "she must have a generator plugged into the main power supply." Kie says and Josie nods. "Most likely." She says as they make it to the staircase leading to the porch. "Shh..." Sarah says softly as they walk up.

Sarah holds the flashlight as Kie lets go of Josie's hand, opening the circuit and there was no breakers. "Where are the breakers?" Sarah whispered. "What is this?" Kie looked up. "No, no, no, no, no." Sarah said before pointing upward with the flashlight.

"Shit. It goes inside."

Kie slowly opens the patio door and then the other door before the three girls head inside. They look for the breakers and then a cat frightened Josie, grabbing Sarah's arm. "Come on, we're almost there." Sarah says, putting her hand over Josie's on her arm. Kie glanced behind her, looking at them. "I found it." She whispers and they spot the breakers, chuckling softly. "Alright." Kie says before flipping the breakers off that closes the light.

A grandfather clock chiming scares the girls, making them gasp and hide. "Shit." Sarah says, glancing at Kie and Josie, the two are holding hands again. They stay standing there against the wall beside the breaker.

The thumping of a cain and the shuffle of someone's steps make the girls more alerted, glancing at one another again. The thumping gets closer and the girls are terrified at this point, Kie has her hand over her mouth and her other hand holding tightly onto Josie's.

"It's-- it's late, Leon. Too late." The woman coughs loudly. She's in the other room but she's still getting too close. Kie steps closer to Josie and Sarah as Josie looked at Kie. She looks scared. The old lady walks by them, "I can hear you, Leon." She says. "I've been waiting all night!" Her head turns to them.

"Go! Go! Go!" Kie shouted at them as they ran away. They ran and then separated suddenly, Josie follows Kie because of the girl holding on tightly to her hand. "Shit!" Kie says as Mrs. Crain screeched, "Leon!" Kie walks up to the boarded up door, wiggling the doorknob. "Where are you, Leon?" The woman shouts as Kie unlocks the door, panicking.

The woman came running in and Kie pulled Josie behind her as the lady raised her cain, which was a firepoke from a fireplace set, swinging it at them. She only ends up smashing plates in the process as Josie pulls Kiara out of the way and grabbed the woman's arm, pushing the firepoker out of her frip. Just then Sarah runs in, "Kiara, come on! This way! Josie!" Sarah says, grabbing Kie's hand and Kie grabs Josie's, the three of them running.

They slam the door closed and then the crazy old lady smashed through the door using the firepoker again. "This way! It goes underneath the house!" Sarah said as she ran off and the other two follow behind her.

AUTHORS NOTE
mrs. crain having her "here's johnny" moment as kie and sarah run away from her 😁