Crash Landing

Life is a series of collisions with the future. - Jose Ortega y Gasset

*******************************************************************************************

I must have had fallen asleep on one of the couches in the break room, waiting for our night shift to start. Next to me was a pile of homework assignments taunting me. Checking the clock on the wall there were still ten minutes left but I couldn't bring myself to do something productive for school anymore. Standing up I stretched my back and packed everything away.

We started cleaning at 10 pm, while the studio was open until 11. Thankfully the last hour was very slow so starting to clean next to the few last guests was no problem at all. Usually when everyone else was gone I finished up the floors and Bee took over the kitchen and shower areas.

Everyday the same till we were done around 12 or 12:30 with our leftover picnic at the end.

Work, Study, Sleep, Repeat. Yea I skipped eat. 

Today had been a busy day almost no leftovers and I found myself munching on one of my last protein bars settling in for the night in my sleeping bag. I had a pack of them stored in my locker for such nasty days. Better to go to sleep fast, so I would forget about my growling stomach.

Disoriented I blinked as I heard some noises. The studio was still mostly dark, a bit of dimmed light was shining from where the treadmill area was.

What the fuck? It sounded like someone was working out! It was bloody 2:45am on my phone!! My pulse was racing super fast from the shock. Goodbye sleep...

Not that it sounded like this break-in was dangerous. I mean there was fancy stuff here... only a robber would most probably not be working out, would he or she?

My curiosity got the better of me and I sneaked towards the dim light. Just a few off-set lights were turned on, so I was able to stay easily in the shadows.

There! What the hell...

On one of the treadmills, with the perfect central park view, a guy ran his heart out. Like I would be grasping for air when doing half his speed! He however seemed not very bothered.

All I could make out was some short, medium dark brownish hair and that he was huge. From behind he looked very well trained with strong arms in a dark grey t-shirt. He was not built like a bodybuilder, more like sporty. Someone who would be able to lift even a car if needed. Broad shoulders, lean torso and legs in dark shorts. Overall someone that screamed I can do it all: Swimming, running, lifting, you name it.

Ohh wait a minute... there was a jacket laying on the treadmill next to the light. It reminded me of one of those jackets the security guys wore around the building, with the Corporation logo on it.

What the hell! A security guy up here?! That was not good...

This guy had the audacity to come and train here in the middle of the night? Most probably during his security shift? Cheeky. He was not afraid to use the equipment ONE BIT.

Damn it, he probably had some deal with his colleague's downstairs, that they didn't snitch on him.

Am I a big hypocrite for finding him cheeky?

I mean I have been using my workplace as apartment since months... 

Woohoo my secret win in the cheekiness competition. I slapped my forehead for my stupidity. Like as if it mattered.

I had had my eyes off him for a second during this motion and the next thing I knew I was pinned on my back staring in angry, piercing blue eyes.

"Uhhhh" I gasped out. My eyes were big as saucers, as I gawked in his set face with pronounced cheekbones. They showed strongly on both sides from him pressing his jaws together in concentration.