Merry Christmas

True richness doesn't lie in material wealth, but rather in how one enjoys the simple pleasures of life. - Ralf Waldo Emerson

**********************************************************************************************

The time before Christmas was my favourite. It had always been like that.

The early darkness, glittering decorations and smell of wooden fire had transformed my village into a place where everyone was just a bit closer than usual. 

The best had been to spend comfy afternoons drinking tea and eating dozens of home-made Christmas cookies that my mum made every year.

Although I was limited in funds and space I had collected some Christmas decoration over the years. With my new room I finally had a place to put them up.

Taping tiny green and red glitter balls on the wall I created a 2D tree shape. A little can go a long way. 

I didn't dare to use a real candle inside the storage room as this may set off the industrial fire alarm but when we decorated the studio with real fir springs, I took the scrap and made a garland out of it for my room. Adding scissor cut paper ice-crystals and folded paper stars as decoration for it.

"You do really love Christmas, don't you?" Alex stood in the door, watching me hanging up the last star. He came to pick me up for a round of Krav Maga training.

We had continued training as he wanted me to be able to defend myself especially as I did not accept his security. So he kept to his old mentors method of training someone to defend themselves. Though Alex had mentioned him multiple times and I knew worked for him I hadn't met El so far. He led an "operation" half-way across the globe. Alex's work was still hard to grasp.

"I do!" Proudly I turned on a tiny string of fairy lights I had brought along from back home. 

"Would you make me one or two of the paper stars for me to hang up upstairs? My flat does not look half as festive as your room down here. AFTER training of course. Now chop, chop we have some work to do."

It would take hundreds of paper stars to decorate his flat. Unfortunately, I had not enough time or paper to supply that many... Anyhow I would try my best to make him as many as I could.

During the next day's, whenever I could at university or in my room, I made stars. For the most complicated fold I found a tutorial online I used the only sheet of coloured blue paper that I had. White paper for the remaining stars and cut-out ice-crystals I thankfully still had plenty and I managed to fill two full bags.

Sneaking upstairs during the day I went to M. "Will he come to his flat this afternoon? I want to prepare a surprise."

"Hello Charlotte, a pleasure to see you. He is out and visits some of his companies today so you have the flat all to yourself. Do you need anything?" M asked helpful and supportive as always.

"No, I am good. I have everything I need for it."

I wasn't sure with her sophisticated style if she was open for self-made things... Anyways I wanted to give her something for the friendly and unbiased way she had welcomed me. 

I took out one of my best stars and gave it to her. "Thank you and have a wonderful Christmas season."

"What a delightful star! Thank you, my dear." I was bestowed with a rare and genuine smile.

 Yeay! Christmas season was just the best.

Upstairs I went straight to his atelier and decorated the plants first, then the living area and kitchen and at last I placed the blue star in his master bathroom next to the basin. So he would always see it first thing in the morning.