Partner in Crime

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end - Seneca

**********************************************************************************************

The next few days I wasn't particularly chipper. 

I still had no freaking idea how to get my ex-boyfriend off of my back. Unhappily I mused for days if there was any loophole? Wasn't there any easy way out?

What does an Ivy League education do for you, if you have a real-life problem? Very little.

I managed to avoid Alex with University and work but eventually he noticed my bad mood. Still  I wasn't ready to tell him about it, so I dodged telling the truth with blaming my workload.

After what felt like an eternity I finally wrote a text to my ex, stating that I wouldn't play along. I would not give him money. It was the only reasonable reaction.

And I meant it!

The relief I felt was short-lived, when I saw his response: A chilling count-down timer. 

"2" had stated the text yesterday.

Today the "1" was decorated with a picture of the article.

I for sure did not have a hundred grand and even if I had them, he didn't deserve a dime from me! Shouldn't it be the other way around? As I still paid off HIS dept. It was so unfair I felt the urgent need to throw my phone at the next wall. Life really sucked sometimes. 

It also wasn't fair for Alex, that he should suffer from my past bad choices. 

Rob was my problem and I must deal with my problems!

How? I was back to having no idea.

The day flew by and I had no way out. I guess I had to meet the problem head on and convince him to leave me alone. 

Maybe he was bluffing? I needed to find out how far he was willing to go.

Writing a curt text I asked to meet up tomorrow at 4pm. Just on the sidewalk where he had ambushed me the last time. No way I would meet this prick in private.

I pondered if I could ask Alex for a car and two of his security to make a big impression... It would surely help but he would sniff out that something was up. 

Screw it, I would make an impression by myself!

The next morning came and as rarely as I spent time selecting my outfit, today I did. 

Settling on a comfortable pair of jeans in which I could move (and run if needed) and a plain jumper, I additionally put on my sturdy work boots from back home. I almost never wore them in NYC as they felt heavy, like they were armoured. Perfect for today.

Throughout the day I tried to keep myself as busy as possible. 

I was a little bit mad at myself that I had scheduled our meeting so late. In the meantime I was driving myself insane. But there was no way I would text again and ask to meet earlier.

It was almost 3 p.m. and my last lecture was over. One hour to go...

I decided to wait in the library next to our meeting point and to listen to some music to distract myself. As the clock slowly crept closer to 4 p.m. my anticipation rose and I selected adrenaline rushing songs. 

This dimwit thought he could FUCK WITH ME? I would show him who he was dealing with! 

5 Minutes - Get ready, Charly!

3 Minutes - No, I would not go out early. He should wait...

1 Minute -  I selected one last song. Banging my head to the beat I packed up my stuff. I plugged out my EarPods and took one last deep breath.