Closer and Closer

Getting to know someone in blind darkness changes your impression of them. - Neal Shusterman

***********************************************************************************************

How could four days without someone you barely know feel like forever? It made ZERO logic sense. Didn't change that I did.

The Saturday had been really busy as it was pouring and tons of people came to the studio. But Sunday the sun was back out and time was dragging along. The phone burned a whole into my leg where it stuck in my pocket.

Bzzz Bzz

A notification came in just as I had my arms full with new towels for the spa area.

Picking up my speed I walked through the glass door that separated the spa from the rest of the studio. Immediately I enjoyed the slightly warmer air. Since I had become so thin I was always freezing.

Additionally, the spa smelled even better then the rest of the studio. Deeply I inhaled the salty air. The pools were all salt water, with the same wooden floor smell there was additionally a faint hint of herbs and flowers. Nothing too sweet, small whiffs like lavender and jasmine from the treatments.

Bzz Bzz 

My phone notified me again. Ah crap. I HAD TO to check it. NOW

Whirling through the spaces I left towels where needed and with the last ones gone, I hid in a corner between the treatment rooms, pulling it out. Phones were not supposed to be used in front of our "guests". 

... Just a small peak...

You have two new mails:

– Fantastic Fall Sales at Shoptildrop

– New merchandise available at the Campus bookstore

Bloody damnation and hell. SPAM. 

Disappointed I put it away and collected laundry from the open treatment rooms.

Bzz Bzz Bzz

Nah I am not falling for it again. Stupid phone making fun of me.

Bzzz

Ah Jesus, this was torture. 

I was debating between stashing my phone up in my locker or to check it. It would bug me as long as I did not check. I knew that... Alright. I would anyways swing by the break room to drink a bit of water, as the laundry was next to it in the service area... Right Charlotte. Complete coincidence.

A few minutes later I eagerly pulled my phone out.

And almost dropped it.

On the still locked screen I could only see that I had received text messages and the name.

It wasn't Hannah.

It wasn't Bee.

Miracles seem to be possible as there it stood black on grey: "New Message from Alex".

Uhm... why was I hesitating?

Reflecting I had to admit to myself, the reason was simple and foolish. I feared he would let me know, he couldn't make it - again. 

I really did not want to read such a message. I had enjoyed our time together. Too much probably. His guilt from our first meeting must have worn out days ago and by now he could very well be bored by our meetings.

Then again, he had made a detour on Friday night, just to let me know he was gone for the weekend. If he was that bored, he would not have gone to that trouble, would he?