Not always on

Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty. – Mother Teresa

***********************************************************************************************

My wondering about if he always was free at nights was answered just one day later. 

For all I know he did have something else to do or needed to catch up on some sleep. Either way, he had told me he had to skip the next two nights of our training.

I missed him. It had surprisingly felt lonely in the big studio without him. Almost like during the first nights I had spent there, when I had been constantly nervous, waiting for someone to find out I was staying there.

It was Friday and the other students were discussing their party plans. At the beginning they had asked me to join but I had always denied (Partying was unaffordable in NYC as much as I liked dancing). Now they seemed to have given up on asking.

Hannah next to me was the closest I had to a friend in my classes. She was a proper geek. Don't get me wrong, geeky was a compliment in my eyes. Nothing to do with her looks or non-existing insecurity. I had never understood why people thought that needed to accompany each other?! 

With her soulful brown eyes and impressive brown curls she could have anyone she wanted! She simply wasn't interested. Her focus was on Uni. An utter brainiac, that is what she was. I liked her very much for that. It also came with the benefit that she could not care less for my social life and never bothered me.

"Do they not have other topics?" she asked excessively annoyed about all the mumbling around us. We both chatted rarely in class and despised any disturbance of our lectures.

"It does not seem so." I tried to tune them out and focus on the lecturer.

"And as no one seems to listen anyway, that is it for today." Great. Now even the lecturer had given up.

The look on Hannah's face was too good. She felt honestly betrayed by the other students.

"Thickheads" she cursed.

"I prefer dickheads." I smirked "Look at it in a positive way, now you can spend the gained time to learn more interesting stuff twice as fast."

"True and I do have some projects waiting for me at home."

See, that is why we got along so well. She was completely reasonable and as I had never asked what her projects where, she equally had never asked details about my work. Valuing me and my work ethic no less.

"Do you want to read my draft for the paper in company law over the weekend?"

Study wise we were an unrivalled team. Each of us was best in alternating lectures giving the other one the support to reach the 100% as well.

"That would be great, Charlie. I have the macro-economics exercise sheet finished, if you still need some of that?"

Nice, that would have cost me at least two hours. "Sounds good. Thanks as well."

We watched the other students flee out of the hall as if there was a fire.

"Dickheads!" Hannah grinned confidentially holding up the discussed papers.

"Certainly." I grinned back.

It was almost the end of the month and I had still some money left...

"Do you want to grab some food?" I asked her in an unusual effort to connect. 

It was the second night that Alex would not come by and I did not want to go to the studio just yet. Work and homework nothing else was waiting for me.