Trip down memory lane

Perhaps home is not a place but simply an irrevocable condition. - James Baldwin

**********************************************************************************************

Thanksgiving was here and I had started packing my bag to go and visit my mom.

Alex had insisted I took one of his cars... plus two of his security guys. But I hated this idea. They had families to go to themselves!

Security for plain old me? That was ridiculous. 

Even though we had officially gone from "Friends-" to the "Girl- and Boyfriend"-Zone, I was still me.

... Not that anyone else saw it my way. 

Every one of his in-the-know employees I came by the two weeks prior had insisted as well. 

Well, they hadn't met someone as stubborn as me before. I would not do it.

The temperatures had really dropped with the first snow coming early this year to NYC. I donned my university hoodie plus my jacket for my trip to the bus station. 

Alex sat unhappy on my sleeping bag and watched me prepare.

"And you are sure I cannot convince you to a warm and comfy ride? I have cheaper cars that aren't flashy. An Audi? A Volvo? I can get a used and older car if that is the problem?" Yea, he would buy a car solely so I could take ONE trip in it.

"Please, I want to manage myself." I looked over my shoulder and took in his large figure on my small camp. 

Had it just been a few weeks? I would really miss having him around over Thanksgiving.

He casted down his eyes, "I admire your independence, it is just that I am worried. The weather is dreadful..." he trailed off.

"You were worried before the weather was even announced to get bad." I rolled my eyes at his final attempts. Sweet and annoying.

"Have you ever thought about the crazy idea that I like taking the bus? I do." A new tactic that maybe would stop this debate.

"Nobody likes busses!" he looked appalled.

"You take the subway yourself! I like mingling with foreigners and learn something about them. Especially before the holidays everyone is so full of good mood. It's engaging."

"That is an awfully optimistic view of the people on busses in America. I would get it if you lived in Europe. Trust me public transport there is different, everyone uses it. But here." He shook his head at a loss.

"I can't change your mind, can I?" 

His eyes stared at me with bewilderment. "No, you can't." 

I went over to him and made myself comfortable on his lap. "Let us enjoy the last minutes and not debate."

Though I had disagreed, Alex had not been dissuaded from accompanying me to the station. The bus terminal was in Midtown not far away, no hassle to get there by myself. But hey I liked spending a bit more time with him, if he was so keen on going to a dirty bus terminal. 

Ok, I hadn't tried as hard to stop him from this idea.

Donning a neutral asphalt grey jacket and a navy blue woollen cap he was hardly recognizable. The biggest giveaway would be that we were accompanied by Marcus and Leon (Another one of the security guys.).

It was as pointless for me to try to get Alex off my tail as it was to get them off his.

My bag in his big hand Alex stood facing the run-down wall inside the bus terminal. The other arm he had wrapped around me as I was leaning on his chest. Comfy pillow that he was.