A bag of surprises

I never loose. Either I win or I learn - Nelson Mandela

**********************************************************************************************

January passed and it was almost time for my birthday. 

As a kid I had hated to be born in February. It was always miserable weather on the day and we couldn't afford to go anywhere inside to celebrate with my friends apart from our small house. 

Being older I would still prefer a summer day, but it really didn't matter anymore. I usually did not even acknowledge my birthday. 

Not this year though.

We had decided to make a scary step forward into the couple world: Hosting together.

Alex had asked me if I would like to invite my friends to his place. Not the level with the entertainment area, no. His private sanctuary on the top floor! This gesture was a big thing for him and I was touched by his commitment. I couldn't deny it.

As I did not have many friends in New York it would be a small affair anyways. 

Of course, I invited Bee and after giving it some thought I also asked Hannah. I was pretty sure that she would be able to be unimpressed by Alex being Alex. 

That is what I hoped for. 

To give Alex some male back-up I had asked Fin to join as well. 

Two days before my birthday I browsed for some silly party decorations in some cheap shops close to the campus. M would have gotten me everything if I would have asked. Only this was MY birthday, I wanted to do it myself.

I was just heading back to the library when I saw the most unlikely face.

 My ex-boyfriend Rob. 

No chance, Charlie! That for sure was an illusion or a doppelganger.

Ignoring this person I continued my way past him.

"Ah Charlie, I was looking for you." He came sleazily smiling directly towards me. 

What. The. Fuck. 

Had I missed something? Was I transported to another universe?

"No, you were not!" Like hell he was!

"See, that is what I always liked about you. So, opinionated." 

He was now right in front of me and I saw the hard glimmer in his eyes. This was not a polite visit.

I was in the middle of the sidewalk, students and people were everywhere. If he thought he could intimidate me, he was wrong. 

He could kiss my skinny ass goodbye! "Whatever it is, leave me alone. I do not want to talk to you!" Short sentences to bring my message across. 

Did it work? Not so far... He still stood there with a mean look on his face.

"Ah, I am sure you will change your mind. Just listen for a second and then think about my offer." He stated confident and stepped in my way as I tried to walk around him.

Offer? Maybe I needed to cut the message even shorter.

"Fuck. Off." 

"How vulgar. I must say NYC seems to have changed you. If you want to be so blunt let's cut straight to the point. I want money for my silence."

"WHAT?" Was he crazy? HE wanted MONEY from ME?

"You see, my sister told me a very interesting tale... Apparently you were back home on Christmas with your new boyfriend. I hope he is still your boyfriend... "