Dinner

Food can bring people together in a way nothing else could - Yotam Ottolenghi

**********************************************************************************************

Friday came and went in a blink. 

Preparing with Val had been so easy. He managed to explain, joke, supervise and cook all simultaneously. Now the hard part lay in front of me.

A big and a small box topped with instructions from Val for baking the focaccia in my hands I made my way upstairs. Exiting the elevator on the penthouse floor I went straight to the kitchen.

Alex was nowhere to be seen. He had texted me that he may be a bit late, and I should just start and feel at home. 

His trust of letting me wander around alone was making me nervous. I haven't had set foot inside his space since our tour and felt awkward to enter his private world without him.

Anyway, no dilly dally. I had plenty to do.

Walking into the kitchen I looked gobsmacked at the counter. Heaps of products were waiting for me. Not just any products as a very structured list pointed me towards every item and location that had been provided. My handwritten small list with ingredients had been upgraded. A LOT.

Reverent I touched the bulk of different Valrhona chocolates and cacao. I knew that stuff. It was super expensive. Apparently, my wish for 3 tables of dark chocolate had not been clear enough. I found 3 of every higher percentage version that must be available.

It did not stop there. 

The sea salt flakes were from Ibiza in a real porcelain mug, the olive oil was Picual from Jaen I had seen an add that it was supposed to be the best oil in the world. Behind the oil full bushes of every Mediterranean herb towered giving the whole kitchen a summery smell. What the hell.

Walking on the other side I found multiple different black and white peppers in metal tins that were followed by super ripe, deep red tomatoes and tomato cans. From the writing on them they were directly imported from Italy. 

The cheese awaited me in the fridge and had been transformed from "a pack of grated cheese" into giant chunks of three different cheeses with a note explaining the percentage recommended for over-baking.

"Even playing field." Alex spoke behind me, making me jump and turn around.

"What do you mean? This stuff is way too much and uhm you know expensive!" I waved unsure overwhelmed with my hands. "It would be wasted on a plain dinner from me!"

"No, it wouldn't. You will see. One of the reasons why food at gourmet restaurants tastes so good is because they use the best ingredients they can find. It would not be fair on you to start with anything less. I had one of my top chefs pick out the ingredients you need. Do not worry about the leftovers. You know how much I eat and the boy's downstairs are even worse." He settled on one of the wooden bar stools looking sharp and out of place inn a elegant navy suit and crisp white dress shirt.

"Do you need help?" He took off his jacket and started rolling up his sleeves.

"Are you mad?" I stared at him in disbelieve. 

Cooking in a suit and white dress shirt?! Cooking with tomatoes to be precise! 

"First of all I want to the cooking by myself like I promised. And secondly you would need to change out of your WHITE shirt. You would completely ruin it." Shaking my head I turned around to start with the work.

"Good idea. I am back in a second. If you search for something just shout."

Thankfully his kitchen was disgustingly organized with everything one could possibly need for cooking staked in a trillion cupboards and drawers.