Checking In

Getting to know someone in blind darkness changes your impression of them. - Neal Shustermann

***********************************************************************************************

Had the morning prior came too early, this was a whole new level. Bloody damnation! My head did hurt and my eyes were almost sealed shut, when my alarm went off at 5:33.

Thankfully my routine had zero time for dillydally and I could manage it with my eyes almost closed. Additionally I had to make a 40-second detour to put back the last icepack.

Sprinting inside the shower, I quickly got ready and just about managed to be ready, when the swarm of morning trainers rushed in like clockwork.

As I had predicted the day was pure coffee driven torture.

I even fell asleep during one of my Economic lectures, getting an irritated view from the lecturer. Thank god, not the professor himself was present. Instead one of his minions held the class. Still nothing they liked around such a pristine university. At least not from insignificant students like me.

By the start of the night shift I was drained of all energy and still so unbelievable content. No matter how tired and how much my head hurt, I would not want to miss a single second from yesterday. Playing the whole thing over and over in my head, while I mopped the floor.

How could I have felt so close and comfortable with this stranger? That was just astonishing. And truly nice.

Tonight there were a few leftovers in the fridges. No feast but enough to keep my stomach from growling. Bee noticed, that I was not much of a conversation partner today, as I almost fell asleep on the table.

"Shall I close tonight?" She asked with vary eyes to the clock. Her train to Brooklyn did not run that often during this time of the day.

"No, get going." I smiled at her big heart. For me she would have done it. It wasn't as if she would get a lot more sleep herself before she had to get back up for her second job. Taking care of her mother with Alzheimers desease. Weren't we two a lucky bunch? Actually yes! I did really feel lucky after yesterday.

"Thank you, Charlie! I hope you know, how much I appreciate it?"

"Yes, Bee. I know. See you tomorrow!" she was already through the door rushing to the elevator.

Well then bed... ahm mattresses here I come. You do look sexy tonight.

I was just getting settled when I heard a small noise and some footsteps. WHAT?

My hopes flew high to see my stranger (Yes, he is mine. Officially claimed.) and equally my fears rose, that another security guy came up here.

I needn't worry as just seconds later, without turning on any lights using his phone as a flashlight, Alex showed up next to the mattresses. "Charlie?" he asked with low voice, as if he did not want to wake me in case I was already asleep.

"Yep, right here. Stalker." I grinned, giddily excited to see him so soon again. Girl, you need sleep not another nice conversation with this guy! I scolded myself. Who cares?!

"Hey" he sat down an arm's length away from my "bed".

"How is your head? Where you dizzy at any time of the day?" he went straight back to being considerate.

"Hi Alex, it is fine. No dizziness. A bit tired and throbbing as would be everyone." I again saw no reason to not be honest with him.

"I am glad to hear that. You had me worried today and I promise I won't keep you up long today. Just wanted to check and I have brought you a treat." He grinned most proud of himself.