FRIENDS?

"You can smile freely, no need to hide it behind that cup."

Dev's amused voice made Geeta look up from her cup, only to directly meet his eyes.

They were a deep shade of brown nothing unusual for an Asian but there was slight tinge of green which surprised Geeta.

Meanwhile Dev was already lost in the abyss of her deep black eyes, just as black as an endless abyss. 

"Your eyes..."

Geeta's voice snapped him out of his reverie, as he realized the former was saying something and he missed it. 

"Sorry?"

"Your eyes, they have..."

"A tinge of green?"

"Yes, how so?"

"If you look deeply my Dadima has bottle-green eyes. It is very deep that people mistake it for black. All of us, which is Me, Ansh, Devina Di and Bua [1] have slight specks of green in our eyes."

"That's beautiful."

Geeta said in genuine amazement, as she couldn't take her eyes off of his eyes. 

"Geeta?"

"Yeah?"

Geeta asked as she finally yet reluctantly took her eyes off his and leaned back on the sofa to look into her cup.

"I know, for a businesswoman like you, this 1 hour is not enough to decide the person you'll be spending a lifetime with." 

"Heck! It is a shocker even for me who has been simply listening to what elders say all my life."

"So... If it helps, I can solemnly promise you 3 things in this marriage, that is, my trust, loyalty, and transparency to you no matter what circumstance life throws at us."

"Dev, I don't believe in promises."

"As you said I'm a businesswoman. I always think about the end before starting something. For me, everything has to be predetermined."

"I don't like surprises, especially the ones like this, which our families planned."

"Geeta... What matters is, I believe in them. So I will uphold it. You just need to patiently accept it."

"Even if it is something which can put our entire relationship and lives in jeopardy?"

"Yes."

His firm answer was enough for Geeta to make her decision but it was time for him to make his decision and for that, she needed to let him know a piece of crucial information. 

"I have made my decision, now it is your turn to make yours."

"As I said I am already ready for this marriage."

"Before you make your decision you need to know something about me."

"That is?"

"I was pregnant before."

Pin-drop silence sustained in the room, as Geeta closely observed Dev who froze momentarily before nodding his head in understanding and looking at her with eyes as clear as the freshwater lake. 

There wasn't any confusion, doubt, disgust, or even the tiniest hint of question in them, the only thing in there was understanding. 

He understood what she meant, he understood her pain and accepted it. He accepted the immature her and was understanding of her current self's turbulent emotions towards her past self.