A PUPPY IN LAST LIFE

"No Dadu, what happened in the past has nothing to do with anyone but me and my naivety thinking everything that glitters is gold, when clearly it is not. I learned it the hard way, but it was a lesson well learned and something I'll remember forever."

Geeta said it calmly, all her anger and frustration suppressed deep in her heart, as she looked at her Dadu coldly, masking all the pain behind the veil of coldness.

Her mind was made up, she was not going to let anyone take the blame for her foolishness and she will never repeat that foolishness ever again, neither now nor in the future.

Dadu calmly looked at Geeta, his eyes calm but the pain in his chest doubling up, looking at the once beautiful spirit fully shattered by the cruel reality of the world, reminding him of his wrongs.

Maybe if he wasn't so bent on letting fate shape Geeta and left her to fend for herself out in the rotten world, all alone, without any support.

Maybe she would still be his darling granddaughter who laughed from her heart and not brain just to put the people around her at ease.

Alas, time couldn't be reversed anymore, so can't be the shattered pieces be mended back to their previous state.

Now all he wishes is to see his granddaughter's carefree laughter once again instead of the calculated smile.

Dev seemed to be the perfect choice for it, that is why he demanded his closest pal to give him his grandson and get their grandchildren married to each at the soonest.

Or else probably it will be too late to bring back his granddaughter, only if it's not too late already.

That thought made him shudder, making his bones go cold, as he looked at Geeta as if trying to grasp the last strands of light in her and hold her together.

"Where are you lost Dadu? Let's go down, I'm getting late. Don't overthink and put your health at risk."

"What is the use of me staying healthy, if all I'm going to see is my precious falling apart little by little?"

"Dadu!"

"Look at it from my perspective, only then you will understand my struggle."

Saying this Dadu stood up and left, looking at his lonely back devoid of his usual majesty and authority, evoked a dull ache in her heart, somewhere far yet close, her heart was pricking.

An unknown fear rose from the depths of her stomach, making her restless, as she buried her face in her palm and sagged against the sofa.

Rubbing her face to clear out all the unwanted confusion and feelings, she stood up, and picked up her bag, her face calm and serene as if the conversation just now never happened.

"Whatever you want Dadu, I'll give it to you at all costs, like always."

Geeta mumbled to herself, determined to fulfill this promise of hers to her Dadu.

Leaving her room, she came across Charulata and the kids who were just going downstairs as well.

"You fellas are still here?"

Geeta asked as she tapped Mika's nose lightly who was the youngest among the group, the latter giggled cutely, immediately melting everyone's hearts.

"They did not want to part at all, it was quite a task, wasn't it kids?"

Charulata said as she playfully glared at the children who giggled and looked away with a shrug.

"Rav, did you enjoy here?"