INSECURITIES

Hanging up the call, Dev went inside his cabin, closing the door behind him, to find Geeta fixing the strap of her heels.

"Are you ready?"

"I am, but sit down, there is something important I want to discuss with you."

"I figured it was important, so I asked them to go ahead with their dinner. Take your time."

Dev said with a soft smile, as he poured her some water, before busying himself with making them hot tea.

"Not a coffee fan I see."

Geeta mused as she looked at Dev, fiddling with tea leaves.

"Chamomile tea helps with nerves and yes I'm not a fan of coffee."

Dev said with a slight chuckle as he turned to look at Geeta, who was already looking at him, the latter smiled with a nod, acknowledging what he said.

"So what is it?"

Dev asked after a brief pause.

"I told you about my... miscarriage, right?"

Geeta started, her tone unsure for the first time since they met, making Dev look at her supportively.

"Yes, you did. It's okay take your time."

Dev said softly as he placed a steaming cup of tea in front of her.

"No, I'm fine. Father of the child... Let's say he was not a very good man..."

"Did he..."

"Oh no, he did not treat me badly, he wouldn't dare. His background is let's say not very appropriate."

"I do not understand."

Dev looked at Geeta confused and worried, at the same time.

"I'll tell you the actual story sometime later, but right now the important matter is that there might be a threat from his enemies to our families."

"Enemies?"

"Yes, rivals who want nothing less than to make his life a living hell, which is by all means through me. I have already increased the security around my family and I wish to do the same with yours but..."

"You need my permission for it?"

"Yes."

Geeta said after a deep breath and looked at Dev with a calm yet serious expression.

"What do I tell my family about the increased security?"

"Oh, they won't know it. They are all shadow guards, their existence won't be known by anyone, they will take care of your safety without your knowledge."

"Shadow guards?"

"Let's say my life before coming to India was not very upright."

"Should I be concerned?"

"About still not being upright? I'm a businesswoman, I cannot be upright always, I do play dirty. The only thing I can assure is, I won't hurt innocent people."

Geeta said calmly as she took a sip from her cup and relished the taste on her lips while figuring out how her taste buds were stimulated and her nerves relaxed.

"I don't expect you to be a saint either, it is okay as long as you know what is right and wrong."

"So... What do you say?"