Lilia

I hit stop on the tape recorder and flopped down on my mattress with a sigh feeling confused, frustrated and irritated

I hit stop on the tape recorder and flopped down on my mattress with a sigh feeling confused, frustrated and irritated. What the fuck just happened? One minute we were kissing and the next minute he's out of the door. He gave me a whole speech on what kissing meant to him and then he told me it wasn't negotiated as part of our payment. What the fuck?

I hated that he didn't give me a chance to acknowledge our kiss before he left, I hated that he left period and I hated how his stupid tape recorder recorded him telling me that he was sorry about it. I didn't want him to be sorry about it, I wanted him to get back here and do it again.

I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my recent calls, I wanted to call Xavier. To talk it through with him but I didn't have his number. How do I still not have his number? Instead, I found Violets number.

"Hey bitch"
"Vi, we kissed."
"Stop it, shut up! Hold on, let me grab a snack!"

I rolled my eyes, my ears ringing out with the movements and rustling of packets coming from her end. She was breathing heavily for a few seconds and then returned to the phone.

"Okay, yep! I'm good. I'm listening, tell me everything."
"It just... happened out of nowhere. He was hiding in the closet with my vibrator and then-"
"Wait, what? What kind of messed up shit are you both into?"
"Violet! Just focus."
"Okay."
"He came out of my closet, kissed me and then he ran away."
"Did he give you the vibrator back?"
"..."
"..."
"No."

Laughter came spilling from her mouth, I could hear her choke on whatever she was eating and I rolled my eyes, waiting for her to regather herself.

"Okay, tell me about the kiss."

"It was... unlike any other kiss I've ever experienced. He was gentle and consuming but it was how he made my insides feel that made it different. I felt like every nerve in my body was awake and craving more of him. Every sense overloaded on Xavier. I had butterflies and goosebumps and my legs turned to jelly. It was exactly how I imagined it to be, only so much better. I think I really like him Vi."

"Fuck, that's some kiss... and then he stole your vibrator?"

"And then he stole my vibrator." I smiled, realising how ridiculous the situation was.

***

Mikey - an overly perky man in his forties drove us in the back of his ambulance, he played cheerful tunes on his radio system and cracked the dadiest dad jokes ever but I was thankful for that because he posed as a distraction from the awkwardness going on between Xavier and I.

We had spent the last hour in each-others company and exchanged a grand total of one word; hi.

It was awkward and I felt a nervous tightening in my stomach, making me feel a little queasy. My instincts told me to avoid him, to not bring up the kiss and just stay out of his way but that was impossible when I was literally trapped inside the same ambulance as him and he was holding my hand to keep up a pretence for his sick mom.