Xavier

Twelve months ago I walked out of the recital with grief heavy on my heart

Twelve months ago I walked out of the recital with grief heavy on my heart. The dance ended and so did my friendship with Lilia. I walked away, dropped out of school and never seen or spoke to her again.

She tried, fuck did she try.

I stayed in town for a month following the recital, I needed to, for the trial. Every night she came and knocked on the door of my trailer and every night I sat on the other side of it, listening to her voice.

But the harsh reality was that I had gone back to the only life I knew, escorting, drug taking, showing up at Sam's parties to score free blow. I drank unethical amounts, probably damaged my liver and kidneys but I didn't give a shit.

My life was worthless.
I was worthless.

In November, the judge dropped the charges thanks to the lack of evidence. Both Lilia and her dad submitted character references in my favour to the judge and I think they helped get my case dismissed, yet I didn't seek either of them out to express my gratitude.

I abandoned her, probably when she needed me the most. When she was just going through therapy and talking through her trauma. I selfishly pushed her away. What kind of person did that make me?

I expected to feel something when my Genevieve problem came to a close but I didn't. I felt nothing, only numbness. It didn't matter to me anymore, nothing mattered.

The best outcome for me would've been the 'not guilty' verdict instead of dropped charges. Genevieve got away with falsely accusing me and ruining my life, I still had people doubt my morals. It seemed like a lose-lose situation for me so I skipped town, moving three hours east.

I started my own business, away from Alessandro's. Just me, the app and my little one bed apartment in the centre of town. It was risky bringing them back home but I stopped caring and charged higher rates to cover the huge drug expense I was racking up daily.

And through all of that time there hasn't been a single second when I haven't thought about the life I left behind. The girl I left behind.

I wiggled my fingers over my nose, letting the cocaine gloop to the back of my throat. Numbing everything behind my nasal capacity, then I glanced back at my reflection in the coffee shop restroom mirror. Lulling my eyes to the back of my skull as my high took over.

"It's seven AM dude." Cameron chuckled as he washed his hands in the sink next to me.

"It's nine somewhere." I stated feeling the inner calm consume me.

"C'mon dude, I want my coffee." He yanked the hood of my coat to force me into following him out. "Ugh, great. Now it's busy." He complained, joining the back of the long line of university students.

I slipped my hand into my pocket and pulled out the box of superking cigarettes, getting one out and placing it between my lips whilst I searched my pockets for the lighter.