Focus

Alastor was the only thing the court ladies could talk about after that. They talked so much that the poor Master of Revels could not teach us the steps to the new dance he had prepared for the upcoming masque. Master Richard, a short, lean sinner with bulging eyes cleared his throat for the hundredth time and said, "Ladies, if we could focus please..."

Focusing was the last thing we could do. After about an hour of half practiced steps, Master Richard dismissed us with an irritated wave of his hand. I breathed a sigh of relief, gathering several books I had stashed on a window sill. I wanted to get some reading done without someone interrupting me.

"Ah, there is my lovely wife-to-be!" King Henry's booming voice startled me so badly, I dropped my books. Turning to see him limping through the doorway, followed closely by his train of attendants and courtiers, I dipped a respectful curtsey. 

"Your Majesty," I replied.

Gesturing for me to rise, Henry offered me his arm. I took it, letting him lead me over to the window overlooking one of the multiple gardens surrounding the palace. Courtiers were wandering over the grounds, weaving a web of gossip and politics. 

"Next week, our matter will be settled," King Henry said. I fought the urge to cringe. How could he be so blase about the death of a woman he claimed to love?

"You should wear red for your wedding dress," He continued, "It will compliment us both."