The Dance

King Henry looked between Alastor and me before nodding. I had been at court long enough to know that he was only giving his permission in order to stay in character as the benevolent host. Wife number 93 had been asked to partner a guest at court several times in a row during a masque such as this and had wound up losing her head because of it.

Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting to see how the King responded. After a nerve-wracking moment, he grinned benevolently and replied, "Of course! Sweeting, would you please partner our guest?"

I gave the King my warmest smile as I rose from my seat. Taking Alastor's out-stretched hand, I let him lead me out to the floor. I could feel everyone's eyes upon us as Alastor began leading in the first steps of the dance. 

"This may just be my opinion," Alastor said to me as we moved through the steps, "But it appears that you do not wish to  marry the King at all."

I tried to hide my surprise, replying in a cool, even tone, "I'm sure I don't know what you mean, sir. I'm flattered to have the King's attention."

Alastor's smile widened as if I had said a joke, "My dear, you can keep telling yourself these lies, but it will never make them the truth."