Roses

He wanted me to wear red to our wedding...

As soon as I was able to escape, I made my way as quickly as I could down to one of the many private gardens surrounding the palace. I needed some space to breathe. A woman was about to be executed on a trumped-up charge and her killer wanted me to take her place. It was enough to make anyone sick.

I let my feet lead me down path after path, winding through intricate beds of flowers. The fresh air helped clear my head and erase the stink of King Henry's bad leg from my nose. Ignoring the other courtiers wandering through the garden, I tried to escape my fears on foot.

"My dear, you seem upset," An antique-sounding voice said from behind me. I turned to see none other than Alastor himself. His crimson gaze watched me, his Cheshire grin widening.

"Alastor," I said, trying to regain some semblance of composure, "How are you finding court life?"

"It's more entertaining than I anticipated," He replied, plucking a rose from a bush beside him. He twirled it between his forefinger and thumb, watching as the bright red rose shriveled up and died in a matter of moments.

"Entertaining is one way of putting it," I mused, watching the rose.

"I'm curious though," Alastor caught me off guard, turning his smile back towards me, "How in the nine circles will you tell the king you don't wish to marry him?"